Author Topic: Carpet Restoration or Replacement?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline autonomousbronco

Carpet Restoration or Replacement?
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:58:25 AM »
I have a '65 convertible produced in San Jose and I was considering either replacing or restoring the carpeting. However, I've been told on my car that the plastic mat in the driver's side foot well is sewn in and that "it's correct" and many reproductions lack this stitching. Because of this, I'd like to restore mine.

However, if I restore the carpeting, I have two concerns: 1) Does anyone have any suggestions on "polishing-out" light scuffs in the plastic mat on the driver's side foot well. 2) Does anyone know of any fabric products or tools that could remove the "fuzz" from the looping in the carpet? The "fuzz" is just in a few areas that have received light wear.

Thanks for the advice!   8)
"When loading the trailer: Keep shiny side up and rubber side down."

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Carpet Restoration or Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »
I have a '65 convertible produced in San Jose and I was considering either replacing or restoring the carpeting. However, I've been told on my car that the plastic mat in the driver's side foot well is sewn in and that "it's correct" and many reproductions lack this stitching. Because of this, I'd like to restore mine.

However, if I restore the carpeting, I have two concerns: 1) Does anyone have any suggestions on "polishing-out" light scuffs in the plastic mat on the driver's side foot well. 2) Does anyone know of any fabric products or tools that could remove the "fuzz" from the looping in the carpet? The "fuzz" is just in a few areas that have received light wear.

Thanks for the advice!   8)
If you call Brant at Virginia Mustang he might be able to put in a special request for the sewn in mat. I would call and talk to him about possible options.He is very helpful and a contributor on this forum. The best of luck regardless on which way you decide to go.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »
What color carpet is it and are you sure it's original?

The heel/toe pad can be cleaned and a few coats of vinyl dyed sprayed on them to cover up the scuffs.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:54 AM »
I would think the heel/tow pad could be unpicked from existing carpet, restored and installed to replacement carpet. :)
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline autonomousbronco

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Thanks for everyones advice,

Luckily, I was able polish out the scuffs on the driver's side sewn-in mat using rubbing compound and a lot of masking tape to protect the surrounding carpet. Also, regarding the "fuzz" in the looping that made the carpet look terrible...I found two options after much research...

Option #1) A gas torch set to its lowest heat.  Using quick movements, you can burn off the stray nylon fibers (not for me...too risky for obvious reasons)

Option #2) An "electric fabric shaver" although they are marketed for sweaters. I bought mine online with the concern that the nylon fibers in carpeting might be too much and jam the dinky machine but it worked great and now my carpet looks new!

"When loading the trailer: Keep shiny side up and rubber side down."