Author Topic: Radiator support markings  (Read 2592 times)

Offline 69eliminator

Radiator support markings
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »
I am trying to decipher what a few ID marks are on the radiator support and how they were applied at the factory. The first is the 125 in the lower left side. I assume it is the cars rotation number. To replicate should I use a white MARCAL grease pencil?

the second mark is on the upper right side of the radiator support. Is this the red marks that I have seem on other cars? how do you replicate? I appears to have been applied prior to paint of the front support? What were they used to identify? Any thoughts on what the characters are? It appears to me to be 9137 but not positive
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Radiator support markings
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:36:00 AM »
I am trying to decipher what a few ID marks are on the radiator support and how they were applied at the factory. The first is the 125 in the lower left side. I assume it is the cars rotation number. To replicate should I use a white MARCAL grease pencil?

Believe they were applied with large crayon marks possibly different color but after all these years the color is often gone and only the grease in the metal can be seen somewhat clearly on the ones applied before paint)

The one over the black engine compartment black was applied on top and sometimes are still visible, but some sort of marking tool and a permenant (Marcal makes about 6 different types of marking crayons) which should work fine and what I have used in the past IMHO. In your example the "125" is your second rotation number and would also be found in the upper left corner of your buildsheet if you have one

the second mark is on the upper right side of the radiator support. Is this the red marks that I have seem on other cars? how do you replicate? I appears to have been applied prior to paint of the front support?

If you look at my 69 Boss 302 threads you will see how I choose to reproduce them. Some apply them incorrectly over the black but this choice will likely cost points if shown and is just not right I can still see the writing under the black but the test will be if and when the paint ever breaks over the marks. Happy with the effect at this point

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6536.0

Believe this mark (passenger top radiator support center corner) is related to some form of tracking number for the welding stations. Have never had enough samples with both buck tags and these marks to see if there is any connection there.  But its a practice you can often find represented on 64-73 Dearborn built cars

What were they used to identify? Any thoughts on what the characters are? It appears to me to be 9137 but not positive

Have seen 3 and 4 digit numbers in that location sometimes an "A" is visible On other years at Dearborn have seen other letters used also

Another place to check for a bunch of scribbles is the drivers side face of the radiator support as well as the passenger lower outside corner

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:38:11 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69eliminator

Re: Radiator support markings
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
Found the paint code on the lower right side as you suggested. You can see it in my photo if you look close just above the right wheel. Never noticed before .
This is such a great site for the details!!

Brian
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69