Author Topic: Correct Master Cylinder for 1967 San Jose 289 Manual drum brakes  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Fastback2013

Re: Correct Master Cylinder for 1967 San Jose 289 Manual drum brakes
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »
I have read this topic again, because I have the same problem/question as Craig 429.
Knowing that I am a new guy... but reading and learning about some topics brings out more questions....
My car is a 67 fastback, San Jose built (12 jan 67) and is a C-code with ps and drum brakes.
would the master cylinder C7ZZ-2140-G be correct?
could someone be so kind to explain the difference between manual drum brakes and power drum brakes?
Knowing that a built sheet is not often found in a San Jose car, where can I find more information of how my car was built?
On the Marti report it just says power steering as an option and no more explanation about the drum brakes.
Thanks in advance for your help and understanding.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »
My car is a 67 fastback, San Jose built (12 Jan 67) and is a C-code with ps and drum brakes.
would the master cylinder C7ZZ-2140-G be correct?

According to a 4/68 MPC

Before 11/1/66 - C7ZZ-2140-C
From 11/2/66-1/9/67 - C7ZZ-2140-D (After 4/67 Ford used the C7AZ-2140-H to service this part but not originally)
From 1/9/67 - C7AZ-2140-H

C7ZZ-2140-G is listed as a master cylinder for a power drum brake Mustang built after Feb 6 1967

could someone be so kind to explain the difference between manual drum brakes and power drum brakes?

Well there is the obvious one of the booster, then the valving and maybe piston size of the master cylinder depending on when the master cylinder was built. The later non- power master cylinders and the power master cylinders (both for drums) share the same piston (all of those use the same repair kit).

Interesting to find that they both use the same pedal - but the pedal differs if you have the solid or collapsible style of steering column

Knowing that a built sheet is not often found in a San Jose car, where can I find more information of how my car was built?

Since you don't have a buck tag all your left with is the door tag, the Marti report and investigative evidence of what you find on your car that you can prove is original (or at least can find logical support for)

On the Marti report it just says power steering as an option and no more explanation about the drum brakes.

Believe that means your car was a non-power drum brake car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »
Well there is the obvious one of the booster, then the valving and maybe piston size of the master cylinder depending on when the master cylinder was built. The later non- power master cylinders and the power master cylinders (both for drums) share the same piston (all of those use the same repair kit).

Interesting to find that they both use the same pedal - but the pedal differs if you have the solid or collapsible style of steering column
A bit off topic, but I believe the regular disc and power disc brake systems use a different pedal, the power disc being longer with a higher up the brake pedal support pivot point. But the regular drum and power drum use the same pedal.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
IMHO there were only power disc brakes in 67-68. I had a power drum 67 6cil car it used the same longer pedal as the power disc cars do to the booster.
I am not sure that the proper pedal pressure would be had with the standard pedal.