Author Topic: 69 NJ Paint Inspector Stamps  (Read 8575 times)

Offline Brian Conway

69 NJ Paint Inspector Stamps
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »
     Where to look for that Paint O K Stamp on an early, mine, Metuchen car?  Was that stamp the final inspection sign off when leaving the assembly line ?  Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:34:07 PM by J_Speegle »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Paint Stamp
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
Believe you would have originally found a PAINT OK on the unibody, looks like on the drivers side cowl was typical for the early part of the year (carry over from 68 practices)  and plant then it moved. Then another  one (inspector)  on a number of the individually painted parts such as hood and fenders unlike 68 appears that those parts may have been inspected before they were put on the car - a difference in location of the stamps from earlier years. Not real easy to find nice unrestored cars for research

Other years at NJ shows some different stamps and locations but focused only on 69

Best I have at the time with my resources
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Search revealed previous info, by you, that these stamps were easily wiped away and did not usually survive.  I was just curious if a remnant had survived on my car.  The trunk lid and door frames are original paint.Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jimhib

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:17:28 PM »
Brian:  The original stamp is still in place on my car, I'll try and get a flick if it would help. Jeff's location description is correct.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »
Sure that would be great.  Most likely the only one I will ever get to see.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jimhib

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »
Brian: I've posted two flicks, one of the buck tag location screw and the Paint OK. Notice, the stamp is upside down. I didn't take a flick of them but the paint stamps are still on my hood hinges although fading.

Offline jimhib

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »
This flick did not make the first post, have no idea why not.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »

paint stamps are still on my hood hinges although fading.

Paint stamps on the hood hinges? Were the part numbers or something like that?

This flick did not make the first post, have no idea why not.

When was your car built at NJ - unusual place for that service decal - has/was it added - since there has been some changes since new apparent in the pictures you posted, had to ask
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:26:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Search revealed previous info, by you, that these stamps were easily wiped away and did not usually survive.  I was just curious if a remnant had survived on my car.  The trunk lid and door frames are original paint.Brian

Never seen any markings on the door jambs of a 69 NJ car (we do on Dearborn cars)  so your left with the trunk - don' think you will find one there (on the bottom of the trunk) but sure you will check and report back if you find something :)

PS modified the title of your first post to better represent the discussion/question for those that may look for these things in the future ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

Re: 69 NJ Paint Inspector Stamps
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 12:11:49 AM »
Thanks for the pictures their great.   The buck tag screw and the location are the same as mine.  The paint stamp is in a surprise spot. I never would have thought there.  I will take another closer look at that area but I am pretty sure it a repaint/black out.  If you have ink stamps on your hinges a picture would be great.  My hinges have the date stamps only.  Brian
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:56:03 AM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
Here is another paint stamp location for a Metuchen car.  You can see it on the firewall above the cowl brace.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »
You may clean the stamp with warm dishwashing liquid and shoot a couple of coats of Matrix 2 stage clear over it.

Once the clear is activated test a small area of the stamp with a tiny brush just to be sure there will be no reaction.

I have a mini spray gun that works great for small jobs.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:07:56 PM by 69cobrajetrugae2 »

Offline jimhib

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »
The stamp is quite visible in the flick hope this helps Brian. Jeff, that is the original sticker on the firewall. My tune up sticker is mounted on the valve cover instead of the shock tower like many I've seen over the years.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
Great pictures thank you guys.  I have never seen an hinge ink stamp on a car before this one thanks for posting.  What is the date on that hinge ?  My hinge is stamped; OB 9 11 D3.  My car was built 9/19/68.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
The stamp is quite visible in the flick hope this helps Brian. Jeff, that is the original sticker on the firewall. My tune up sticker is mounted on the valve cover instead of the shock tower like many I've seen over the years.

Looks like a service replacement hinge with a date from the 70's (looks like 73 in the picture) . Like the one Brian posted originals were stamped with the date that did not include a year.  Seen that stamp before on early NOS hinges. They appear to be painted black unlike the originals  is that correct?

Looks like someone freshened up the engine compartment with some rattle cans very typical for owners to do at some point after all these years.

When was the car built if I might ask.  It would help relate things like the paint inspector stamp and other details.   Guess since you report that the decals are original you purchased the car new.   

Though its off thread - the "tune up decal" you refer to is the one with the timing?  If so the original spot would be on the valve cover. Or are you referring to another.

My hinge is stamped; OB 9 11 D3.  My car was built 9/19/68.  Brian

Wow that's tight ... but since it was stamped next door you don't have all the shipping and other things to slow down stuff like they had with parts coming from elsewhere.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:48:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle