Author Topic: '65 Ford Fender Service replacement part  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Chris

'65 Ford Fender Service replacement part
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
I had a fender-bender a few months ago and had to replace my original driver-side fender with a Ford replacement fender (red primer type). I just noticed triangle shaped areas along the top of the fender where the fender bolts onto the inner apron. Is this right for Ford replacement fenders? A pic of the triangle shapes is attached.

Thanks.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: '65 Ford Fender Service replacement part
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
Yes, the later tooling is what was used for most all of the service replacement fenders.  The triangle style started in production in '66.  What's the date format?  Is it 'A 65'?

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »
Charles,

I'm not sure of the date format. With the fender already installed, I can't see much. Looking up above the wheel for the part of the fender I can see (without a lift), I don't see a date stamp. Thanks for verifying that the raised triangles are ok.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
Charles,

I'm not sure of the date format. With the fender already installed, I can't see much. Looking up above the wheel for the part of the fender I can see (without a lift), I don't see a date stamp. Thanks for verifying that the raised triangles are ok.

Date stamp would be visible from the engine compartment with the hood open. Look between the fender bolts on the fender lip for stampings
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 07:19:07 AM »
Are those "crash" triangles OK for a '65 Concours car?  I also used Ford NOS fenders and had my body guy remove the triangles before the fenders were painted--driver's side only had the triangles.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:26:23 AM »
Are those "crash" triangles OK for a '65 Concours car?  I also used Ford NOS fenders and had my body guy remove the triangles before the fenders were painted--driver's side only had the triangles.

The crash triangles would not be correct for a '65.  A deduction would be expected.  Also, if the date format is the later 'A 65' or similar, then there would be a note or deduction in concours judging.

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »
I looked along the fender where it bolts on under the hood (like shown in the picture already posted) and I don't see a date stamp. Would an aftermarket fender made from original Ford tooling look the same as Ford Service but just be missing a date stamp? I'm wondering if I can't find a date stamp if I was sold a Ford tooling fender, but sold as original Ford Service part.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:02:32 PM »
I haven't seen a Ford fender without some type of marking, whether it be the factory-style date stamping or the later 'A 65' code on a service replacement piece from the original tooling.

The one on yours may be there, maybe was a faint stamp and filled in with build primer.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 08:47:19 PM »
Any pictures of 65 Dearborn Fender date stamps? Between which fender holes should I look?
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline Philma

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »
My 66 Metuchen built fastback has the stamped triangles on drivers side only. I have looked at a few pics of others and they all seem to have the drivers side triangles only. Is this correct? I know my drivers door was replaced but so far no evidence of the front quarters being replaced.
66 Fastback GT
6T09A16XXXX
Silver Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 03:58:07 PM »
My 66 Metuchen built fastback has the stamped triangles on drivers side only. I have looked at a few pics of others and they all seem to have the drivers side triangles only. Is this correct?.......

For what ever reason only the drivers side was done.

Seeing that your car was possibly a mid December 65 built NJ car it looks like yours would likely not originally have come with that detail. Looking at other NJ cars with similar or slightly higher VINs
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »
Any pictures of 65 Dearborn Fender date stamps? Between which fender holes should I look?

Any comments on this? I find the date stamp on the fender substructure piece, but I can't find the date stamp on the main piece of the fender.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
Any comments on this? I find the date stamp on the fender substructure piece, but I can't find the date stamp on the main piece of the fender.

65 - early 66 style fender date location

Later 66 style fender date location

Jeff Speegle