Author Topic: 28 years ago today I bought my Mustang. My Story  (Read 2089 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

28 years ago today I bought my Mustang. My Story
« on: November 05, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
It was in 1986 and my father saw this car at Whitt's Auto Sales in Madison TN.  He told me to go by and look at it.

I remember it being in the front of the lot with an 45 degree 'Automatic' sign in the driver side window.  I loved the car at first sight.  I was 18, who would not love a red Mustang, well at any age :)

The car cost $3200, Dad gave me a $1000 to put down on it, and I payed the rest, $40.00 per week.  I still have every receipt.  I remember this being a hard time in my life, not knowing what to do with my life.  Growing up, being a man, not being a kid anymore.  A lot of hard decisions.  The Mustang brought happiness to me.  I think God places things in our lives when we really need it and I am sure this is one of them.

I felt so proud to drive this car, people would stop me and say what a nice car it was.

I remember driving home one night and there was snow on the road.  I slid off right into a ditch.  It did not damage the car but I thought to my self I am going to wreck this car. 

I bought a 87 Dodge Colt, I had just paid off the Mustang, and paid $100 a month for it.  I drove that car for 8 or 9 years.  I remember reading in Car Craft, that said "Every ding you get in your daily driver is one less on your nice car"  that always stuck with me.

Well I needed a place to store my Mustang.  I could not afford a storage place.  God came through again.  My Uncle had a detached wood garage that he said I could use.  He said he never uses it.  Well thanks to Uncle Cordell I was able to keep the Mustang in his garage for almost 12 years!  That time got me through college, apartment living, and until I could finally have a house with a garage.  I would not have been able to keep the Mustang without his generosity.  He has since sadly passed but I always like give him credit and always will!

I had shown it at a few shows but nothing like a MCA event.  I became an MCA Gold 79-93 judge so I could learn how to restore this car more properly. 

I knew I had always wanted to restore it to a concours level but could not afford it at the time, still saving :)

So, what I have been doing since 1987 is buying a NOS part a month.  There were some times when I could not buy parts, but I have a lot of parts.   I joined Ebay in 1998 for the sole purpose of finding parts.  It use to be a lot easier.  I could get NOS parts for a song.  Now they are getting harder to find.  I know I could have bought a finished car for the amount of parts and restoration costs.   I just want to make this one a show winner.  It has been a part of my life for 28 years!  We are like a team.

My goal is to show it at MCA events once a year in the future and bring my family.  One day I hope to give this car to my child.  Keep your dream alive.  Mine has been going on for 28 years now.  God bless

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

priceless

Re: 28 years ago today I bought my Mustang. My Story
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
Really nice story and Mustang to match  8)

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
Really great story!

That's what makes these cars more than just a car to us, the stories and memories that go with them.  I've had a car for 31 years and understand exactly what you are saying.  ;)

I hope to see your car at a show someday....it looks great!
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:43 PM »
It's true that there's a story to every Mustang, well done and great work, and the story continues...
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline dave6768

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »
Great story...thanks for sharing.  I've had mine 39 years and the stories it could tell... :o

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:00:21 PM »
Great story...thanks for sharing.  I've had mine 39 years and the stories it could tell... :o

+1, only 37-1/2 years.

I made it a point that the FIRST was to be a keeper! To bad my choice in women wasn't as good ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

priceless

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 09:06:39 AM »
+1, The 69 Mach in my signature has been in my wife's Family 45 yrs this Jan.....We've been together 33 yrs, What Stories we could all share, Stay Tuned......