Author Topic: '68 390 Vacuum Routing, With A/C  (Read 1748 times)

Offline E35Pilot

'68 390 Vacuum Routing, With A/C
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »
While working to connect all the vacuum hoses today, it occurred to me the reference material I have on hand did not show my specific configuration.  I've looked at the vacuum references provided by Jeff in the Library, but it matches what I have at home and doesn't show the configuration I need. 
Does anyone have specific information on how the distributer vacuum hoses are routed with the following configuration:

'68 390, dual distributer, Thermactor, air cleaner valve, vacuum tree, front and rear manifold vacuum fittings, automatic trans, and WITH A/C.

Routing diagrams having the A/C system in the above configuration seems to be nonexistent...unless someone can help me understand what I'm missing.  Could/Should I use the 428 routing?
Thanks, Lee

1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: '68 390 Vacuum Routing, With A/C
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
It should be same as 428. AC only adds a Tee off the rear brass block if it has tilt away otherwise it goes straight off block to reservoir
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
It should be same as 428. AC only adds a Tee off the rear brass block if it has tilt away otherwise it goes straight off block to reservoir

I'll do that...I suspected this would likely be "a" solution.  I do have tilt (forgot to add that to the mix above) and it has the tee off the rear manifold fitting.  Thanks for your help!
Lee

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
Here's the layout,

Vacuum tree top port = yellow hose side of carb
" middle=green hose front port distributor
lower= red hose goes about 3" into a tee. straight through side of tee goes to front manifold fitting. 90 degree tee port to rear distributor retard side.
I dont work on many cars with vac cannister on air cleaner but I think it goes to second nipple on front manifold fitting
smog cannister= rear brass block. If nipple on large brass block (later style) it goes there other wise to small brass block nipple
small brass block= 6" hose to tee= splits to tilt reservoir and ac reservoir.
if it was automatic that hose would also go to rear block
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »
Here's the layout,

Vacuum tree top port = yellow hose side of carb
" middle=green hose front port distributor
lower= red hose goes about 3" into a tee. straight through side of tee goes to front manifold fitting. 90 degree tee port to rear distributor retard side.
I dont work on many cars with vac cannister on air cleaner but I think it goes to second nipple on front manifold fitting
smog cannister= rear brass block. If nipple on large brass block (later style) it goes there other wise to small brass block nipple
small brass block= 6" hose to tee= splits to tilt reservoir and ac reservoir.
if it was automatic that hose would also go to rear block

PERFECT!  This helps a lot.  I hope others will find this as useful as I did.  Thanks for going to the effort to help me (and others) out.
Lee

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »
Now, if only someone could crawl under my dash and figure out why all the vacuum motors are not working for heat, A/C, Defroster, and fresh air and where the problems are……... ;)
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.