Author Topic: '67 Tilt-Away steering wheel vacuum can  (Read 12987 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
Re: '67 Tilt-Away steering wheel vacuum can
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
He made no representations of the application, just that it fit the descriptions and pictures shown by ruppstang and 67gtasanjose.  He said he believed it to be a '67 part.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
I agree Bob, that sequence doesn't sound too logical, but as you know, Ford was not always logical about parts…. ;D

But, as a follow-up to my own question, I contacted a good Shelby/Cougar parts supplier I have used often over the years, to see if they knew anything about this.  He told me he had a good used one just like the one in the pictures here of the offset dual port with a side bracket, but that he sells many more of the repro single and dual units for the '67s.  I told him I would take it, so I guess there are some out there, just not common and not something the manufacturers want to make.

Mike, you might ask him for a picture of what you are getting & if this set up had the TWO brackets, keeping in mind that there is a bracket crimped to the side of the can (resevoir) assembly and the bracket that attaches to the crimped on bracket using two nuts.

Reason I mention it is they may have been sourced from a location OTHER than from under the battery. The same resevoir WITHOUT the 2nd bracket have been reported as being used for tilt wheel applications on some of the non-AC and w/o Speed Control, they were mounted up by the hood hinge, under the hood. (refer to the other thread again for pictures)

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »
It has the crimped on bracket with the two nuts, but it did not have the extra bracket that attaches to the apron.  Guess I would have to try and find that bracket separately, they were separate, right, not just one bracket crimped on to the can and the long wing to attach to the apron?
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »
It has the crimped on bracket with the two nuts, but it did not have the extra bracket that attaches to the apron.  Guess I would have to try and find that bracket separately, they were separate, right, not just one bracket crimped on to the can and the long wing to attach to the apron?

"did not have the extra bracket that attaches to the apron" The bracket attaches to the support for the battery tray, not onto the apron. Going by the pictures you provided, you will need to fill any and ALL holes in the apron that had anything to do with the canister mounting.

On the battery tray support bracket, if your battery tray is original, you should find a series of (4) holes up high, nearer to the battery tray, for 390 & 289 engine vehicles, as you have, you would bolt that (other) bracket to the REAR set of (2) holes. For  inline 6 cylinders, the canister mounting bracket would use the FRONT set of (2) holes. If your battery tray does not have these particular holes, it may be because the tray has been replaced with an aftermarket battery tray or the tray is out of an early production '67. In that case, to locate the holes, refer to the LIBRARY section on 1967's, in the Speed Control installation PDF, http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Instructions/67/Article-67CrusiseCntrl.pdf I believe it was on page 13 where the relocation instructions show the intended locations to drill the holes on the early production style battery tray support braces. Later production trays, as I said, already would have the holes regardless what options the car has or does not have, all 4 holes would be pre-punched for locating the canister there.

Yes, they were seperate
Richard

Richard
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:07:13 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
"did not have the extra bracket that attaches to the apron" The bracket attaches to the support for the battery tray, not onto the apron. Going by the pictures you provided, you will need to fill any and ALL holes in the apron that had anything to do with the canister mounting.

On the battery tray support bracket, if your battery tray is original, you should find a series of (4) holes up high, nearer to the battery tray, for 390 & 289 engine vehicles, as you have, you would bolt that (other) bracket to the REAR set of (2) holes. For  inline 6 cylinders, the canister mounting bracket would use the FRONT set of (2) holes. If your battery tray does not have these particular holes, it may be because the tray has been replaced with an aftermarket battery tray or the tray is out of an early production '67. In that case, to locate the holes, refer to the LIBRARY section on 1967's, in the Speed Control installation PDF, http://concoursmustang.com/speegle/Instructions/67/Article-67CrusiseCntrl.pdf I believe it was on page 13 where the relocation instructions show the intended locations to drill the holes on the early production style battery tray support braces. Later production trays, as I said, already would have the holes regardless what options the car has or does not have, all 4 holes would be pre-punched for locating the canister there.

Yes, they were seperate
Richard

This vacuum can business gets more and more confusing the deeper we dig into it!  Richard and Marty (ruppstang), thank you both for continuing to dig into the vacuum can variations.  I participated in the other vacuum can thread, and I've been watching this one with interest too.  I don't know if we will ever figure out all of the early-late-67-68 variations.  Just when I think I'm starting to wrap my head about the correct components for a certain production period, someone posts something that doesn't appear to follow the pattern.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
This vacuum can business gets more and more confusing the deeper we dig into it!   

It might just be easier to start a thread with PHOTOGRAPHS of all the various vacuum canisters or combination of canisters that are KNOWN as original equipment for 67's and 68's...label them "Example #1", "Example #2", "Example #3" and so on.
From that point have every member with a 67-68 Mustang "TAG" the one that best represents their example followed with a "VIN, minus 3 consecutive digits" and at very least, a scheduled or actual build date, then include a check box style questionaire with "yes" or "no" answers including "Restored", "Unrestored", "Original Owner", "Factory installed Air Conditioning", "Tilt-Away Column", "Factory Installed Speed Control", "Dealer Installed Speed Control", "Other Than What Is Pictured Canister(s) present", etc. thus assembling a compilation of Data.

May be possible to do, and maybe we would then find out even more examples of alterations, thus helping to steer the "alterations" back on course, or more apropriately worded, back on Concours!

Richard

It might be possibly to nail down a few grey areas with such a document...but maybe I am dreaming
Richard Urch

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 05:12:21 PM »
OK, thanks 67gtasanjose, I could not tell from the picture if that was the apron or the battery tray support it was attached to, mine does have the 4 holes alright.  I do find this issue pretty daunting.  With the '68s I was always involved with, it is a piece of cake, and in the Corvette world, nobody makes incorrect repro parts for very long, the judges make sure of that, this one is really different for me, very strange.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 07:29:15 PM »
It might just be easier to start a thread with PHOTOGRAPHS of all the various vacuum canisters or combination of canisters that are KNOWN as original equipment for 67's and 68's...label them "Example #1", "Example #2", "Example #3" and so on.

Believe it might be better to separate and do 67 and 68 in their own thread and include assembly plant so that we pick up a supplier variation if there is one - always better to collect too much info than not enough in these surveys IMHO

Just went through this over on SAAC with style of rear spring clamps for 67 San Jose Shebly's. Once we got input a clear pattern (after excluding all restored or altered cars)  did appear though we continue to narrow down when (as best we can) the change may have taken place.

Nothing wrong with trying - answers may not be immediate but it will put members, with interest in the subject, on the look out for additional information & input. I've not thrown a bunch of pictures up in this tread only because I was afraid it would just muddy the waters if they were randomly inserted into the discussion
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »
From that point have every member with a 67-68 Mustang "TAG" the one that best represents their example followed with a "VIN, minus 3 consecutive digits" and at very least, a scheduled or actual build date, then include a check box style questionaire with "yes" or "no" answers including "Restored", "Unrestored", "Original Owner", "Factory installed Air Conditioning", "Tilt-Away Column", "Factory Installed Speed Control", "Dealer Installed Speed Control", "Other Than What Is Pictured Canister(s) present", etc. thus assembling a compilation of Data.

May be possible to do, and maybe we would then find out even more examples of alterations, thus helping to steer the "alterations" back on course, or more apropriately worded, back on Concours!

Richard

It might be possibly to nail down a few grey areas with such a document...but maybe I am dreaming

I think that's an excellent idea.  That seems to be one of the only ways we're going to nail down any kind of pattern or consistency.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
Would even suggest or entertain zdding Cougars to the list of data points to help fill out a more complete look at production if we find any

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9931.msg58810#msg58810

I started the thread on the 67's last night. I did not exclude Cougars because I called it out as 67's in the subject line
Richard Urch

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »
I found one of the same-size-double-nipple cans in my parts stash.

How do I test it? Never owned a Tilt-Away.
The center nipple holds 15" of vacuum when I stopped pumping the MightyVac. I got tired of pumping. It held.
So what does the outside do?

Pic from a previous post that's identical in size and shape to mine:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:06:31 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 12:55:16 AM »
Here is a page from a original 67 Ford vacuum service manual that I have. I also have the 68 and will check it today. I have a very original 68 GT 350 that has two lines to the tilt can under the battery.

Just curious where you got the manuals. Love the clear detailed images
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:23 AM »
Just curious where you got the manuals. Love the clear detailed images

The electrical and vacuum manuals were produced for each year and are oversized 13" x 18" making it easier to show more details. I got the ones I've got at swap meets and Ebay over the years.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 06:06:27 AM »
I found one of the same-size-double-nipple cans in my parts stash.

How do I test it? Never owned a Tilt-Away.
The center nipple holds 15" of vacuum when I stopped pumping the MightyVac. I got tired of pumping. It held.
So what does the outside do?

Pic from a previous post that's identical in size and shape to mine:

On edit, I remembered I had a New Service Replacement can on hand so I checked it out. I had the nipples' functions backwards in my initial reply so I removed the response.

Center nipple passed in and out while the outer nipple has the check valve. The outer nipple would go to Intake Manifold vacuum source and the inner nipple would go to the column's vacuum solenoid/switch at the column.

TESTING: Pump (with a Mighty-Vac or similar vacuum tester tool) the center nipple with the outer nipple open to atmosphere and you should not have any leak-down on your (Mighty-Vac) gauge. This should hold essentially 'indefinitely'. If it leaks down you can then cap the outer nipple and re-test. This second test would test the check valve that sometimes can be cleaned (internally) to get the check valve to seal again. If it doesn't hold vacuum with the outer nipple capped, the can is leaking.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:30:55 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch