Author Topic: Autolite shocks for 69 Boss 302  (Read 2344 times)

Offline AussieBoss2cc

Autolite shocks for 69 Boss 302
« on: October 31, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »
I have searched and high and low for NOS shocks  and concluded their as rare as rocking horse sh....t.
So, next option is Dan at Dans suspension and refurbishing a set of Gabriel's.
I have seen variations in stamping for Autolites with both "made in Canada" and "made in USA".
Was this a plant supply issue? Also not 100% sure on part numbers 18080- ?
Does anyone have original photos of script /font examples?
The shocks are for a 1969 boss 302 Dearborn April build.

Thanks in Advance David

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Autolite shocks for 69 Boss 302
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
I have searched and high and low for NOS shocks  and concluded their as rare as rocking horse sh....t.
So, next option is Dan at Dans suspension and refurbishing a set of Gabriel's.
I have seen variations in stamping for Autolites with both "made in Canada" and "made in USA".
Was this a plant supply issue? Also not 100% sure on part numbers 18080- ?
Does anyone have original photos of script /font examples?
The shocks are for a 1969 boss 302 Dearborn April build.

Thanks in Advance David
Confirm the engineering number on the shock and I will check. I have some likely candidates and don't live but about 15 miles from Dan. I have some other shocks I have been procrastinating about taking over to him anyway.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 02:46:54 PM »
Was this a plant supply issue?

Yes it was a supplier/manufacturing plant difference and from what we've been able to track so far, like other parts, one plant supplied San Jose most of the time and the other Dearborn and NJ. The difference besides the stamping is course or fine threaded shafts as discussed in a number of other threads here

Since the build sheets call out the same paint marks (white in the front and orange at the rear) as 428CJ  4 speed shocks they should be one in the same as them.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 07:24:41 PM »
Yes it was a supplier/manufacturing plant difference and from what we've been able to track so far, like other parts, one plant supplied San Jose most of the time and the other Dearborn and NJ. The difference besides the stamping is course or fine threaded shafts as discussed in a number of other threads here

Since the build sheets call out the same paint marks (white in the front and orange at the rear) as 428CJ  4 speed shocks they should be one in the same as them.

That's what I guessed, same as staggered shock 4speed CJ but wasn't sure. The shock C9ZF -D was used on early production 69 Shelby GT500 4 speed because of the staggered shocks . That is why I have a extra pair of used original rears on the shelf . In my case I just have the rears because 69 Shelby's used a different then Mustang adjustable shock on the front. I just checked and mine are marked "Made In Canada" with a T9AB date.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline AussieBoss2cc

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 07:57:17 AM »
Alot of info on 428 cobrajet forum. Helpful. Note Registered trademark symbol after autolite that seems to be lacking on reproductions.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
Alot of info on 428 cobrajet forum. Helpful. Note Registered trademark symbol after autolite that seems to be lacking on reproductions.
If push came to shove a case could be made for the Autolite trademark being a problem issue also I would wager . ;)