Author Topic: Engine Paint won't cure hardener issue, strip & repaint! 1968 San Jose  (Read 2053 times)

Offline bullitt68

Re: Engine Paint won't cure hardener issue, strip & repaint! 1968 San Jose
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2023, 05:20:22 PM »
Bob, in person in may seem a hair bit darker but I think that picture is representative-that is 25+ yr old Bill Hirsch paint and 50+ yr old Ford paint. It is pretty close. I always thought my factory paint batch is a little darker then typical. BTW that manifold is aluminum.

IMO from personal experience painting bare aluminum vs bare steel will yield a lighter shade for certain, which may explain the difference we are seeing. I used primer on all my engine parts as a baseline. However, here was a noticeable difference also on my unpainted bell housing as I couldn't to primer it.
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2023, 05:25:42 PM »
The Bill Hirsh paint may be good however it is typically a different darker shade not in the range of the factory paint . It is easy to tell as the wrong shade on the show field.

Has been my experience also. There is another supplier (sorry don't recall the brand) that I see from time to time that has a little purple cast to it, when the sun hits the surface, that makes it unacceptable IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2023, 06:43:23 PM »
Has been my experience also. There is another supplier (sorry don't recall the brand) that I see from time to time that has a little purple cast to it, when the sun hits the surface, that makes it unacceptable IMHO
I am guessing you are thinking about the POR 15 engine paint .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2023, 06:48:24 PM »

This one has a bit of a purple tinge to it imo

Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968