Author Topic: What type paint for the tail light bezel?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline tvor

What type paint for the tail light bezel?
« on: March 16, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
Hi all,
I had my original tail light bezels re-chromed and now I'm prepping the little center sections for paint (black).  However, I'm not sure if it should be gloss, semigloss or flat.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Would the same black that goes on the interior (doors, dash, etc.) be the same finish?  That would be the easiest, since then I could just have the paint shop do it.

Thanks for any help!

Kelley
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline jwc66k

Re: What type paint for the tail light bezel?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »
Kelley,
 I have a set of NOS on the shelf (committed to my 66 "K") that seem to be more flat black than semi-gloss. It may be due to the grainy texture of the sections you are talking about.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
I'd be curious as to if re-chroming the bezels lessened the texture of the painted areas?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »
I'd be curious as to if re-chroming the bezels lessened the texture of the painted areas?

In my experience yes it can an issue shared with many pieces that can be rechromed. Another noticeable and often seen issue is the wing window frames.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tvor

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Maintaining the detail on my parts was definitely a concern I had.  So far, everything is looking pretty good.  The only trouble I had was re-chroming the door handles.  The knob has such a tight gap to the handle, that the chrome fused it into one.  I ended up replacing with repops.

So let me ask a question for this group - is it better to have original Ford parts, especially from the car itself (not from a boneyard off another car) re-chromed over the repops?

Jeff, you mentioned the wind wings.  I had mine done and they look great (I think).  What area loses the detail?  I'd like to confirm mine are good

Thanks,
Kelley
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:49:39 PM by tvor »
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »
Maintaining the detail on my parts was definitely a concern I had.  So far, everything is looking pretty good.  The only trouble I had was re-chroming the door handles.  The knob has such a tight gap to the handle, that the chrome fused it into one.  I ended up replacing with repops.

So let me ask a question for this group - is it better to have original Ford parts, especially from the car itself (not from a boneyard off another car) re-chromed over the repops?

Depends on the class your prepping the car for, those rules, your plans for the car, how good of an original part your starting out with... Bottom line is that there is no one answer for all the possible parts that this could related to. Case by case

Jeff, you mentioned the wind wings.  I had mine done and they look great (I think).  What area loses the detail?  I'd like to confirm mine are good

To me the most glaring is often the outer, lower, front detail were the sharp edges of the design merge

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)