Author Topic: Intake Manifold Gasket & Install  (Read 1912 times)

Offline gimmea250swb

Intake Manifold Gasket & Install
« on: November 08, 2023, 08:40:05 PM »
I had to pull my intake manifold...long story. I bought a Mr Gasket 203G gasket from NPD because someone told me that was the closet I could get to the original. The car isn't a show winner, but I like get thing closer to concourse when the opportunity presents itself.

- Is this the best gasket for a '66 Shelby to start with?
- What's the best way to prep it for install? I recall someone telling me to paint it white????
- What's the best way to prep the mating surfaces?
- Many threads off the concourse site say to toss the cork on the front and back and replace with sealant? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 11:15:27 PM by J_Speegle »
'66 Shelby Feb build
'65 FB 5T09T164019

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Intake Manifold Gasket & Install
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 11:14:02 PM »
I had to pull my intake manifold...long story. I bought a Mr Gasket 203G gasket from NPD because someone told me that was the closet I could get to the original. The car isn't a show winner, but I like get thing closer to concourse when the opportunity presents itself.

- Is this the best gasket for a '66 Shelby to start with?

If it is paper based then the color may create more of a challenge than a lighter color. Not familiar with the specific gasket. Too bad Mr Gasket doesn't make their white gasket material without their name plaster every inch of so on it. But come to think of it wonder if its printed both sides

Pulled up some pictures on site of the 203G gaskets and either they are using a generic gasket for the picture or that gasket is not shaped like an original one making it not a good choice if it is as shown like here for example. Guess you could cut the Mr Gaskets end so they are more like originals. Looks like the Mr Gasket ones also do not have the water leak safety channel for lack of a better term as shown below. Here is a picture of what is shown on web sites as the gasket set your referring to. Visible ends, one the intake is installed are shaped different from factory ones also

- What's the best way to prep it for install? I recall someone telling me to paint it white????

Yes at least paint it white if its a paper base

- What's the best way to prep the mating surfaces?

Make sure they are smooth, free of old gasket and if you choose to sparingly apply a little sealant around the ports and water passage so that it can't bee seen

- Many threads off the concourse site say to toss the cork on the front and back and replace with sealant? Thoughts?

Of course they do especially if you just building a clone. Of course they will likely suggest dumping the tri-wye headers for better ones, installing a better aluminum radiator, replacing the master cylinder with a two pot, wider tires and more modern tires.  If your not focused as we are on original then none of the above points need to be followed. If original is the focus stop looking at non concours based site for information and choices  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 11:52:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gimmea250swb

Re: Intake Manifold Gasket & Install
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 10:29:55 AM »
Ha! I suppose that last question wasn?t meant for this site :)

Jeff, could you recommend a better gasket?
'66 Shelby Feb build
'65 FB 5T09T164019