Author Topic: 69 black headliner  (Read 5110 times)

Offline DEWilson

• Maine Mustang Back from the Dead Restoration Shop
69 black headliner
« on: September 20, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
69 mach 1 NJ built car with the black color interior for the headliner what is the correct color is it black black or is it charcoal black like the dash paint i have gotten two differant headliner one from distive industry is black but the headliner i got from Scott drake is more like the charcol black color   and look wrong in color but is it   so what one is correct !
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:20:09 PM by DEWilson »

Offline tobkob

Re: 69 black headliner
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:34:56 PM »
It should be black...I ordered new sail panels form NPD (Scott Drake) that were charcoal and had to dye them black. I contacted SD and all they could tell me was "that's what our supplier uses". Good luck :)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »
The correct headliner material is "moonskin".
I bought it off the roll years ago from an upholstery shop to repro my own sail panels.
You could always try and find a vintage material sample or check out a car with the original headliner.
The color under the rear windshield rubber will not be faded.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:54:15 PM by 7Lscjracer »
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »
It should be black...I ordered new sail panels form NPD (Scott Drake) that were charcoal and had to dye them black. I contacted SD and all they could tell me was "that's what our supplier uses". Good luck :)

TOB
[/q

i have learn that scott drake don't really care if stuff is truly correct  i see that the sail panel that have are not black so going to fix them too

Offline Dirk Pitt

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »
I used a heat gun to remove the charcoal material from the sail panel backing and then glued the correct black moonskin material that matched my headliner to the panels.  I also found that the trim rings for the courtesy lights are too thick and if possible, you should try to save your original courtesy light trim rings and use them as well.  These can be removed and reused if you are careful.  They will get dinged up a bit but you'll never see them with the lights installed.

TOB
1969 Mustang SCJ (W-code), Dearborn Built 4/21/1969
1969 Mustang CJ, Dearborn Built 7/16/69

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »
I also found that the trim rings for the courtesy lights are too thick and if possible, you should try to save your original courtesy light trim rings and use them as well.  These can be removed and reused if you are careful.  They will get dinged up a bit but you'll never see them with the lights installed.

I dealt with this also on my '69, though I didn't discover it until the headliner was already in and the rear window had been reinstalled.  I ended up having to cut some of the retainers off of the courtesy light housings before they would snap in place.  Otherwise, there's no way the courtesy light would have snapped in place without completely destroying the sail panels by pushing on them.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Scott302

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:08 PM »
OK, I am here to set this story straight.
There is not nor has there ever been a charcoal gray colored headliner than came from Scott Drake.  They manufacture their headliners in house using material they source.  If someone received a charcoal headliner in a Scott Drake box it was placed there after it left the Drake facility.  I have been assured by them that this is a fact.

I was asked by a salesperson, for a customer, if we were aware of black headliners not all being black.  I told them that I am aware of variations but not anything that it would cause me concern.  What was conveyed afterwards I cannot say.  Dye lot variations exist and it is a fact of life.  It has never, in my experience with the Drake headliners I have observed, risen to a point where they were no longer black enough. 

With that said I did discover that back in 2014 and early 2015, Distinctive, who produces the Scott Drake metal ringed sail panels under contract, did produce some of Drake’s sail panels using their (Distinctive’s) charcoal material.  They are the only ones known to have had this incorrect shade material.  I cannot say if they still have it as they are not my supplier of moonskin anything and not a concern for me at this point.  Drake was not able to figure out to whom these all went out to and they were taking care of anyone that contacted them with this issue.  I was oblivious to their existence until today.  We have found several sets still on the shelves and are in the process of returning them.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline tobkob

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »
With that said I did discover that back in 2014 and early 2015, Distinctive, who produces the Scott Drake metal ringed sail panels under contract, did produce some of Drake’s sail panels using their (Distinctive’s) charcoal material.
FYI my invoice for the black (charcoal) sail panels was dated 3/18/2015.

TOB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 12:10:26 AM »
Thanks Scott for responding to the post
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
this is what i am looking at on the headliners  bottom one is the old one the next one is the black scott drake replacement one, then the next one up is a black one from ditive ind  then the one on top is the 2nd scott drake one  both scott  are call black but they look gray in color

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:07:40 PM »
Shades of black is pretty tough to discern from a photo on a computer screen.  My headliner and sail panels are OE and I think there is room for ' gray ' in the description.  Definitely not a deep or midnight black and certainly no room for any shades of brown.  Thoughtfull of Scott from NPD to add some insight to the conversation.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 09:13:41 PM »
headliners in 69/70 were, what I call more Charcoal than black.  A black headliner and sail panels would never match the rest of the interior.  I have a 16 thousand mile Mach that has not been outside in the sun for 42 years and the sail panels and headliner are not black and match the original Lacquer painted rear panels.  JMO   Good Luck!

MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Dirk Pitt

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 07:23:10 AM »
Many of you guys are way more knowledgeable than me on these cars but I have hundreds of photos from a sub-100 mile Dearborn Mach 1 that is well known and the headliner in that car is clearly more black than charcoal and does not match the interior panels.  Attached are two photos of the interior of that car.  While not NOS, I also have a new in box headliner from Colamco ('70's vintage from what I can tell) and that material matches the headliner color in the attached photos almost exactly.  I did use a flash for these photos and I appreciate the flash can wash out the color a bit but you can see a clear difference between the headliner/sail panel and the interior panels.

headliners in 69/70 were, what I call more Charcoal than black.  A black headliner and sail panels would never match the rest of the interior.  I have a 16 thousand mile Mach that has not been outside in the sun for 42 years and the sail panels and headliner are not black and match the original Lacquer painted rear panels.  JMO   Good Luck!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:42:59 AM by dirkpitt007 »
1969 Mustang SCJ (W-code), Dearborn Built 4/21/1969
1969 Mustang CJ, Dearborn Built 7/16/69

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
That's a good shot Bobs car.  Maybe it is the flash.  But I still feel they were not as black as what has been described.  I have a picture somewhere of a headliner that was installed that is very black and the original sunvisors do not match.  I'll see if I can find it.  The sail panels were repo and did not match the headliner.  It was obvious without the flash.  Good discussion.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline tobkob

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »

'69 Shelby 2060 (4/7/69 Dearborn) had true black headliner and sail panels. Maybe what you are seeing is the variations in suppliers and/or dye lots.

TOB
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:33:26 AM by tobkob »