Author Topic: 1969 Shelby Reproduction Wheels  (Read 1248 times)

Offline ninedrvr

1969 Shelby Reproduction Wheels
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:22:35 AM »
I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with reproduction 5 spoke Shelby wheels? I'm wondering how well they hold up in general and specifically how well they do as far as rust formation on the steel portion and how true the wheels are for balancing purposes. I noticed that they are welded now which is tricky with two dissimilar metals.

Any experiences?
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: 1969 Shelby Reproduction Wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 10:31:42 AM »
My originals were stolen in the early 80's, and my insurance got me the reproduction set shortly after. I'm trying to remember the name of the company, they did small batches when they had enough orders so it took a while to get them. They are/were located in Ca. the replacements are welded. I had no problems with tire mounting or balancing. I put the tires and rims in storage for a long time and when getting them out the chrome/steel part did have a bit of surface rust, the aluminum lightly oxidized. I used the aluminum foil method on the chrome and it did an OK job of bringing the shine back with minimum pitting.

I have a set of repro Polyglass tires on them and only use them for judged shows. Otherwise, I run a set of 17" Legendary Wheel Co. GT9 wheels.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »
I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with reproduction 5 spoke Shelby wheels? I'm wondering how well they hold up in general and specifically how well they do as far as rust formation on the steel portion and how true the wheels are for balancing purposes. I noticed that they are welded now which is tricky with two dissimilar metals.

Any experiences?
There are a couple companies making the closer repros and Scott Drakes makes a all aluminum version which doesn't quite look right. Craig Conley at Paradise wheels is who makes a good repro. Steel slugs are put into the aluminum center when it s cast. The steel slug portion in the center is welded to the rim. I have heard of the the chrome not lasting long on some and good luck with others. You really don't have much choice if you want wheels. I would buy from Craig . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 02:56:50 PM »

I have a set of repro Polyglass tires on them and only use them for judged shows. Otherwise, I run a set of 17" Legendary Wheel Co. GT9 wheels.

How does the car drive with the Polyglas GTs? When I first got my license, the car I was driving (a 67 Dodge Coronet) had unbelted bias ply tires on it. I later put a set of radials on it. The car was more stable with the radials but I was always curious as to how it would behave with belted bias ply tires.

Jim

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 04:49:43 PM »
There are a couple companies making the closer repros and Scott Drakes makes a all aluminum version which doesn't quite look right. Craig Conley at Paradise wheels is who makes a good repro. Steel slugs are put into the aluminum center when it s cast. The steel slug portion in the center is welded to the rim. I have heard of the the chrome not lasting long on some and good luck with others. You really don't have much choice if you want wheels. I would buy from Craig .

No, the Scott Drake Legendary Wheels are not the best (as in apperance compaired to the originals), and they are all aluminum. Sofar they seem to be holding up nicely though.

Yes, Paradise wheels is who I got my replacements from back in the 80's.

*Edited*
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:58:23 PM by 69GT350H »
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 04:51:36 PM »
How does the car drive with the Polyglas GTs? When I first got my license, the car I was driving (a 67 Dodge Coronet) had unbelted bias ply tires on it. I later put a set of radials on it. The car was more stable with the radials but I was always curious as to how it would behave with belted bias ply tires.

Jim

I could not tell you as I do not drive on them other than short distance very low speed. They are from the 80's and are very hard. Still holding air though!

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »
Anybody have any experience driving these cars on reproduction Polyglas GT F60s?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:29:34 PM »

Jim
The bias ply are show car tires. For pleasure driving there is no doubt that the radials will be unbelievably better driving tires.If you were unfortunate enough to buy a set of the repros  (FYI they drive the same as the originals IMO) for a pleasure driven car and switched to a set of radials you will notice a very dramatic positive difference compared to the bias ply.My biggest personal complaint is that the Bias Ply follow every dip or crack in the road which can be really annoying after the first 5 minutes or so. Many owners have a set of wheels and tires for driving and a show set . That way you can have your cake and eat it too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 07:33:48 PM »
FYI regardless of if reproduction Polyglas GT F 60's or E 70 15  they have the same driving characteristics. 

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 08:14:50 PM »
On the left is the Legendary GT9 17" aluminum rim with a Nitto G2 street tire. I have since replaced the center cap with their Shelby cap. You have to use theirs as the original caps are too small. On the right is my Paradise wheels 15" Shelby rim and repop good year tire. I know that its not supposed to have the tire size, but back in the 80's, when the insurance co replaced them, I did not know. Its a little late to change them out now.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »
On the left is the Legendary GT9 17" aluminum rim with a Nitto G2 street tire. I have since replaced the center cap with their Shelby cap. You have to use theirs as the original caps are too small. On the right is my Paradise wheels 15" Shelby rim and repop good year tire. I know that its not supposed to have the tire size, but back in the 80's, when the insurance co replaced them, I did not know. Its a little late to change them out now.
Back in the 80's the repro tires only came in the style with the tire size. It was the first and second batch I think that Kelsey tire did at the Argentina Goodyear plant. Knowing the 69/70 Shelby's used the no size tire style I blacked out the tire size. Krylon semigloss BK. I fooled a lot of people back then because the no size was non existent.  It made some people who knew better mad because I initially fooled them until they took a second hard look. Oh the good times.