Author Topic: Black 8K Rally Pac Restoration - Happy with the results.  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Morsel

Black 8K Rally Pac Restoration - Happy with the results.
« on: March 21, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
So I had an original 8K Low Profile Rally Pac that needed restoring. I search and found a bunch of posts on here about it and it actually was easier then I thought with a great outcome. I first tested it to see if the whole thing was working on the car... the tach worked, the clock did not, wasn't too surprised. I disassembled the whole thing and benched test to see what was going on with the clock, it was surprising very clean inside, both the clock and tach. The clock's points had a touch of build up so I gently filed them down and cleaned them and boom, started working. I went through the clock and oiled it using Liberty clock oil, very small amounts. Tested it over several days slowly adjusting the clock as it got off (interestingly these have a built in feature that the more you adjust the time it eventually "learns" because of a movement inside and will start keeping correct time based on which way you use the chrome dial to adjust the clock. So it started keeping perfect time.

I used a citrus based stripper on the casing, it worked incredibly well and easy, old wrinkle paint just came right off so no blasting or anything like that needed. I used a red scotch bright to scuff the surface to get a little tooth for the new crinkle paint to adhere to. Also tape off the inner surface that gets the flat non-wrinkle color. Cleaned the case right before painting with wax remover / degreaser.

So before I painted the case, I made these little wire holders for each piece so I could really get good even paint coverage and also was thinking about about the baking process. I had these and the paint out in the sun, about 70 degrees, for about a 1/2 hour, nice and warm.

As for the paint, I used the cheap easy to find Black wrinkle paint VHT Wrinkle Plus. I was hesitant because I've heard so many other methods and wasn't sure this was going to work as well as I wanted. I watch a ton of videos and read a bunch of technics. The one that I liked and seem to look like what I was going for I used...

Painting the casing I followed the directions making sure to get even thick coats, vertical, horizontal, and diagonal... and way thicker then I'm used to painting out of a can, 5 mins between coats. When finished I let it sit for another five minutes, I did NOT let it wrinkle on it's own as the can says to do, I wanted a tight wrinkle and even so it went directly into the over at 200 degrees for about 15-20 mins, I kept checking on it with a light to see the wrinkle and pulled it out as soon as it got to where I wanted. As it cooled it shrinks a little more, but not much. I was really surprised at how closely to the original its came out with this cheap paint and it stuck to the case really well.

When I painted the inner smooth surface I first used a satin gloss black... It looked to shinny so I was prepared and used the same Semi Flat 1613 Industrial Krylon we all love for out engine bays, it looked perfect in the end, the semi gloss or satin gloss I think would have too much sheen.

As for the other parts, I just carefully clean and polished and wiped all the wires with safety clean (which worked great on the wires by the way), all the chrome rings cleaned up really nice, the only think I replaced were the lenses and black center rings because those were pretty beat up... by the way, don't order the Scott Drakes, the don't have the pins on the back you need to go through the lenses with and melt, I guess they want you to just stick them on or something, really weird.

Anyway, here are photos of the process and finals. I think it came out great and matches the originals pretty well.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Snydly289

Re: Black 8K Rally Pac Restoration - Happy with the results.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 05:31:29 PM »
Your results look fantastic! I'm currently restoring both of my Rally Pacs. One being the tall profile 65 and other the low profile 66. I was hesitant on using the VHT wrinkle paint, but now seeing your results I will give it a try.

Did you use a small table top toaster oven or a full sized kitchen oven to bake the Rally Pac after the paint was applied?
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:49 PM »
Your results look fantastic! I'm currently restoring both of my Rally Pacs. One being the tall profile 65 and other the low profile 66. I was hesitant on using the VHT wrinkle paint, but now seeing your results I will give it a try.

Did you use a small table top toaster oven or a full sized kitchen oven to bake the Rally Pac after the paint was applied?

I used a full kitchen oven, the smell wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still waited for the lady and dogs to go out to do it ;) And yes, a ton of research before I started this, and only follow the directions on the can for the coats of paint, then as I mentioned after last coat, wait about five minute and then go directly into the over for around 15 to 20 mins inspecting every five minutes as you go, remember it's still going to tighten up a touch when you pull them out of the oven, so when gets a little before you happy with the look pull it...

Good luck ;)

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Online RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 06:27:44 PM »
Very impressive, nice work!
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:12:40 AM »
Great looking little wire sculptures you made there to hold the pieces during painting.

Don't know what I've never considered that option. Have used old rattle cans to serve that purpose in the past

Thanks for sharing your experience and success
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
Great looking little wire sculptures you made there to hold the pieces during painting.

Don't know what I've never considered that option. Have used old rattle cans to serve that purpose in the past

Thanks for sharing your experience and success

Yes, I thought ahead as I’ve learned with projects like this ;) I wanted something to easily grab right after I painted them and to easily get them in the oven quickly, also so they we’re sort of floating in the oven for even heat dispersion. Plus I have a lot of that wire :)

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:29:13 PM »
Yes, I thought ahead as I've learned with projects like this ;) I wanted something to easily grab right after I painted them and to easily get them in the oven quickly, also so they we’re sort of floating in the oven for even heat dispersion. Plus I have a lot of that wire :)

Yes the spray can holders would not transition to the heating stage very well  ::)  Again great idea
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)