Author Topic: Installing freeze plug while engine in Mustang  (Read 1821 times)

9TO2Hknot4cell

Installing freeze plug while engine in Mustang
« on: July 04, 2019, 06:19:08 PM »
Has anyone decided to just knock out an "easy to access" freeze plug to flush the engine block then replace the freeze plug? 

Seems that would work better flushing the block besides going through all the mess of flush and fill.

Any help and information is appreciated.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:01:22 PM by 9TO2Hknot4cell »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Installing freeze plug while engine in Mustang
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 09:31:52 PM »
Has anyone decided to just knock out an "easy to access" freeze plug to flush the engine block then replace the freeze plug? 

Not I

Then you get the fun of trying to get a good angle to drive them back in and touch up the paint so it looks untouched.

Just some considerations
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bgp429

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »
Believe it or not there is a tool made to install freeze plugs. Tool works slightly better than a socket and extension.  Seems like excessive work for just a flush. Freeze plugs can be installed in the car if there is access, however buy 2 or 3 for each plug removed. The first one will likely be ruined.

https://www.autozone.com/cutting-drilling-scraping-and-splitting-hand-tools/freeze-plug-tool/oem-master-freeze-plug-installation-tool-kit/965837_0_0

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »
Why not just remove the thermostat housing and lower radiator hose.  Stick a garden hose in the hole of your choice and flush away.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

9TO2Hknot4cell

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 07:57:02 PM »
Yes, I've already removed the t-stat. And I even thought of the flush with engine off?  Is that what you're talking about Brian? 

With engine off? lol, I'd say since you're saying stick in the hole of my choice.  Will that get all corners of the block?

I have the Prestone flush T installed in the heater hose.  Ready to flush with engine running if necessary, just concerned that will mess up my water pump.

Any help appreciated !!

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 10:22:19 PM »
I have flushed my engine, not running, the way described.    Brian.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:28:46 AM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

9TO2Hknot4cell

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 12:38:17 PM »
Sorry, don't get on here that much.

Do I need to somehow use a silicon/marvel mystery oil :o, or something to make sure water pump bearings don't seize up?  Maybe mix it with water as its running through block??

The engine was rebuilt back in 2009 and I haven't flushed it yet.  It's drove at least 700-800 miles a year. I Drive it to work quite a bit.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 05:30:18 PM »
If you feel a need to add a lubricant for the water pump there are specific products that are made just for that and often sold under the titles/label of water pump lubricant they are compatible with antifreeze and water unlike some of the shade tree products
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bgp429

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 05:49:10 PM »
Do not use any type of oil based "additive", as said above there are products for that. Petroleum [or in other words oil] will destroy all the rubber hoses from the inside. Once the oil is in there it is nearly impossible to get out.

Something to consider is PH test strips. Many times a flush isn't necessary.

http://www.radstrips.com/

A quick test is using a digital volt meter.  Put one end in the coolant at the radiator and ground the other lead on the block. Engine not running. If there is less than .4 volt and the coolant appears clean the additive package is still working.

9TO2Hknot4cell

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
No, the color of my coolant is dark, almost black. Yea, it's time for a flush.

I was trying to figure out how to keep the water pump from grinding to a halt by flushing plain water through the motor. I have seen/heard this happening before with motors just having a few thousand miles on it with new water pumps.

I'll see what the parts house has in water pump lube to keep the water pump functioning.

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »
Water or antifreeze doesn't reach the bearings of a properly working water pump.  There is an inner seal that prevents this.  Antifreeze acts as a lubricant for the seal to prevent premature wear.  At any rate the small amount of time you will be flushing at idle wouldn't likely cause a problem here, with fresh antifreeze added afterwards.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline bgp429

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 04:20:19 PM »
Agree, I have been a line tech for 30 years. Never had a water pump failure from flushing. Have literally done hundreds of flushes. If you heard of a pump failure from this operation my first thought is the pump was bad before the work started.