Author Topic: License Plate Lamp  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
License Plate Lamp
« on: July 07, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »
Has anybody removed the lamp pigtail for a 69 fastback for plating.  I found a real nice one but the plating needs to be redone.  It looks to be yellow zinc, can the process be done with the pigtail left in place.

Thank you,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline jwc66k

Re: License Plate Lamp
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »
I use a large enough deep wall socket over the lead end and a large flat washer on the bulb end in a bench vice. The bulb socket will slide into the deep wall socket when you tighten the vice on the washer end. The metal parts of the lamp assembly, including the lens retaining screw, should be gold zinc plated. In reality the rivets should be drilled out before plating and new ones installed after, but that gets to be expensive as you need a rivet tool, dies and the correct size rivets are about $19.00 a bag of 100. To do it "correct", NPD sell a black insulating sleeve that can be used to replace the old one. The NPD sleeve will do three lamps, it's a bit long. You will need to carefully remove the contact at the bulb end of the socket, disassemble the socket, replace the sleeve, re-assemble the socket and solder the contact back in place. Clean as you go. The critical item is the grommet on the wire that goes thru the rear panel. Be careful with that. To re-install the bulb socket, reverse the procedure with the bench vice with an additional deep wall. I made a "tool" from a 3 inch long piece of 3/4 inch electrical conduit to help. If the bulb socket slides in (or out) too easily, "deform" the hole slightly and try again. New foam weather strip to seal the glass is available at NPD as well.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: License Plate Lamp
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for sharing your technique, I figured somebody had figured out a way to do this.  The sleeve on this one is in perfect shape.  I just need to replate and re-assemble.

David,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue