Author Topic: 69 Rear Quarter Extension  (Read 936 times)

Offline Brian Conway

69 Rear Quarter Extension
« on: October 26, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
     I have a pair of the fiber glass extensions on my 9/19/68 Metuchen Mach 1.  These don't get talked about much.  So the when, where, and why they were installed is not clear to me.  What I have learned is that they were installed on the very early production cars.  It seems all three plants used them until the stock was depleted and then the metal version was introduced.  It may be that all the Shelby cars received the early glass version ?  This part number photo, from my car, has the FORD logo.  This part has a C9ZB part number and a GB part number.  The GB part number can also be found on the fiber glass interior parts of my car.  Additional information or experience's ?  Brian
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:27:22 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Rear Quarter Extension
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »
     I have a pair of the fiber glass extensions on my 9/19/68 Metuchen Mach 1.  These don't get talked about much.  So the when, where, and why were installed is not clear to me.  What I have learned is that they were installed on the very early production cars.  It seems all three plants used them until the stock was depleted and then the metal version was introduced.

Have seen the glass ones at least through Jan 69 at San Jose. Not unusual to find one of each on original cars during the "end" of there usage. Unfortunately not something that shows up in a picture or when you see a car at a show. 

So would not call it a very early or even early thing other than labeling first and second halves of the production year as we so often do. It often leads readers to really get a feel of the time period being referred to IMHO

It may be that all the Shelby cars received the early glass version ? 

Not sure how anyone would document that - and why would Ford save up the glass ones for 4-5 months just to put them on cars that would be removed again when they got to AO Smith? From the few factory pictures before the conversion not sure if they were even installed at Ford. Know that in 67 San Jose left off the trunk lids and end caps rather than duplicate efforts putting them on and taking them off

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

Re: 69 Rear Quarter Extension
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
My 69 Mach1, Feb.24,'69, Metuchen built, has 1 fiberglass and 1 metal original Q-extensions.