Author Topic: Trunk speckle finish  (Read 2033 times)

Offline nham3407

Trunk speckle finish
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
I am preparing to paint the speckle finish in the trunk of my January 72 Dearborn Mach 1.  I have seen examples of cars where the side marker lights are painted along with the trunk area and examples there it was not.  My car had been previously restored and the quarters cut out so I do not have any good original material to research.  I did photograph an original Dearborn 73 convertable that had the side markers painted.  This was a 183 mile untouched car.  Does anyone have some original information they could share?  Thank you.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk speckle finish
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:33:38 PM »

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »
Thank you.  Looks like the wiring was already in place as well and would have some overspray on it.  Do you happen to know the originality of these cars?  The only reason I ask is that my understanding was the rubber plugs identified in the green car and the red one should be oversprayed as well. 
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
All of these examples (yes there are un original items in the pictures) were either displayed as unrestored or I found them locally and they had original paint.
The red car was one Bob Perkins displayed (he had had some hand in) at an MCA a number of years past,

Not sure when the trunks were shot on these (must gave been down the line but don't know if they would have been off the dolly yet (if so the circles around the dolly holes would have been bare)  Remember that the rubber plugs are flexible and with that and the release coating often found on those parts the coating may not stick to those items very well
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)