Author Topic: PS pump restoration  (Read 1766 times)

Offline 68 S Code

PS pump restoration
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »
Since I'm waiting for some things to be shipped figured I would tackle the 2 dings in the pump cover. Read the frequent ? Part and determined I have a TRW pump so it's black. Popped the can off and going to try to tap out the dings. My question is that I heard the cast iron part of the pump visible gets semigloss black and a yellow dot. Frankly my pump looks like it was never painted. Funny thing because look to have a casting date... My birthday. I guess I will paint the pump but against what I've seen. Is the can the same or similar semigloss black or glossier?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: PS pump restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »
Since I'm waiting for some things to be shipped figured I would tackle the 2 dings in the pump cover. Read the frequent ? Part and determined I have a TRW pump so it's black. Popped the can off and going to try to tap out the dings. My question is that I heard the cast iron part of the pump visible gets semigloss black and a yellow dot. .................

The pump, main body, can, tag .... less pulley was painted  (in your example semi0gloss black) as a unit though a short sleeve appears to have been placed over the end of the shaft to make the installation of the pulley easier.

As for paint marks I've only got one (out of a fair number of examples) with a green dot behind the pulley on the main pump body but that is on a 8H dated pump - later than your car's
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I have three pumps and I checked them over quickly and find it odd that the two nuts at the center nipple aren't painted. The first nut holds the tag (thinner crossection) and the second one noticeably thicker holds the natural finish (?) metal hose bracket? I guess why aren't thr nuts painted? Should they?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »
The tag reads 2 W 19 8 on the second line.
Would this mean Feb  TRW 19th 1968?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I have three pumps and I checked them over quickly and find it odd that the two nuts at the center nipple aren't painted. The first nut holds the tag (thinner crossection) and the second one noticeably thicker holds the natural finish (?) metal hose bracket? I guess why aren't thr nuts painted? Should they?

Not unusual for paint not to stick as well to some surfaces (plated for example) as other surfaces. One of the reasons we think explains finding handles almost lacking in paint. If the tag is painted the retaining nut would have to be there to hold it in place during the painting (producing a area of bare metal behind it on the canister so you can paint the can one of the bare steel paint colors then install the tag and nut and paint the whole thing.

We also find original cars and NOS pumps painted this way

The tag reads 2 W 19 8 on the second line.
Would this mean Feb  TRW 19th 1968?

Would have to check the old tag decoder but the W would indicate
a originally black TRW supplied pump according to the TSB articles
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:03:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »
I carefully swung the tag over on one of the pump sitting on the work bench (70 CJ pump????) and it was bare metal behind the tag. That one is also a TRW. Noticed that the two spares both have a dipstick which is bright cad plated (one a Ford Thompson the other the CJ TRW). My original has a rubber plug/long seal below the cap and handle. All three show a FOMOCO label but the two spares are quite differant below the cap.

I like your idea of the silver grey paint first to keep rust at bay on bare metal behind the tag and then black over it. i am now getting ready to paint the 68 convertible top structure and found with the 67 that there are many places which you can miss or very lightly dust with black just as Ford supplier did originally. The problem is potential quick surface rust. So I was going to do the 68 strucure with a light coat of urethane primer, with a light coat of silver and then wait for the silver to flash and reload the gun with semigloss black. Thjis way anything which is suppose to be lightly dusted or missed on purpose will still have paint but it will be the silver enamel below. No more rust and a very authentic paint job.

Thanks for reminding me to do the pump the same day and the same way. Both should be done by weeks end.