Author Topic: Improving the Gloss In Paint  (Read 242 times)

Offline lightwtjet

Improving the Gloss In Paint
« on: March 11, 2024, 02:51:54 PM »
In a MCA concourse setting, I understand that there are requirements that some orange peel/imperfections are needed in painted surfaces. Good painting results are not always possible. If you are not satisfied with the paint finish you may want to examine what I have found-
If the reflection of an overhead light is not sharp- more polishing may help (Assuming the subsurface is smooth)
Wet sand lightly and briefly with 1200 grit paper - avoid the edges - this will show you the peaks and valleys in the paint surface.
Wet sand with 1500 grit paper - this will help remove the scratches you made
Polish with rubbing compound, polishing compound, light cut polish and finally with a swirl remover and wax.
Using a buffing machine takes practice - you can burn the paint - and do the edges by hand.
Pictured is my air cleaner top after using the above steps. It is now at the same gloss level it was when Ford painted it. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 05:12:07 PM by lightwtjet »
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Highest Gloss In Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 11:12:13 PM »
Not sure where the "highest gloss in paint" fits in with concours restorations. In many areas of the car even large heavy runs in the paint were acceptable to inspectors and the instructions they received. The heavy "dipped in plastic look" to exterior and engine compartments at shows was big in the 90's be after deductions, for being incorrect, the newer restorations corrected to back to more of a factory look.

Of course the "wet" look has been the rage at shows like World of Wheels and other indoor shows for decades
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)