Author Topic: correct fuel pump for 289 D-Code  (Read 661 times)

Offline michaelvonlanthen

correct fuel pump for 289 D-Code
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:35:16 AM »
Looking for a correct and properly functional fuel pump for my July 6 build 289 D-Code Mustang. My car is a weekend driver, that means it has to work like it was new.

Thanks for advice.
Michael
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

5F08D189*** - 76A   F   42   06G    75   1   6
Guardsman Blue Convertible with white interior, AT, PB, AC, console, Rally-Pac

Re: correct fuel pump for 289 D-Code
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »
Looking for a correct and properly functional fuel pump for my July 6 build 289 D-Code Mustang. My car is a weekend driver, that means it has to work like it was new.

Thanks for advice.
Michael
Michael ,a couple questions . So is a core  for a early D code style fuellpump  that needs to be rebuilt out of the question ? How about one with a rebuild kit included? What specific flange number on the fuelpump are you looking for? Is the flange number a deal killer because there are many(relative term because they are hard to find) correct looking early style Carter clamshell fuel pumps that will work and look correct.  Is the date code a deal killer or is the date given to reference the correct style fuel pump only? Just trying to determine if you want the needle in the haystack or will one of the straws in the haystack work too. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 03:39:10 PM »
is this one concours correct for a D-Code or only correct for HIPO 289 K-Codes?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/289-Hi-Po-NOS-Fuel-Pump-Early-Style-1963-64-65-271-289HP-Mustang-Shelby-Cobra/183443259216?hash=item2ab611ff50:g:sB8AAOSwRTtbLCR3&vxp=mtr

Thanks, Michael
It looks the part . The flange number and or the date code may not be appropriate for your D code . If you aren't concerned about the thoroughbred date code and or flange number then that is a viable alternative. The main concern I would have is given that is NOS and that the materials used back in the day would not be very compatible to modern fuels and consequently not last a long time (time and not mileage). If for a trailered show car it would make as much of a difference but for reliability on a pleasure driven car it would be a concern.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 03:58:21 PM »
is this one concours correct for a D-Code or only correct for HIPO 289 K-Codes?

With the small CARTER its not going to be 100% correct just closer/better than some of the other options. That is something that you can't over come and its clearly (unless you have PS and AC) in sight when viewing the engine compartment. You can get things like the model number and date restamped. - again not invisible but allot less noticeable  once installed and a easy installation (on this version of the fuel pump) installation of a new rebuilt kit takes car of other issues Bob mentioned.  By the time you go through all those steps you IMHO need to consider if paying a premium for the label NOS is worth while in this situation 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 06:12:23 PM »
Michael ,a couple questions . So is a core  for a early D code style fuellpump  that needs to be rebuilt out of the question ? How about one with a rebuild kit included? What specific flange number on the fuelpump are you looking for? Is the flange number a deal killer because there are many(relative term because they are hard to find) correct looking early style Carter clamshell fuel pumps that will work and look correct.  Is the date code a deal killer or is the date given to reference the correct style fuel pump only? Just trying to determine if you want the needle in the haystack or will one of the straws in the haystack work too.

Thanks a lot for your answer Bob. I would also be ok with a rebuilt correct style fuel pump for my D-Code. As I live in Switzerland, my car can not participate at MCA shows. Correct date codes are not that important, but a correct Carter logo would be cool :) Do you have such a rebuild (good working) fuel pump that would match to my car?

Which parts of the NOS fuel pump would be affected as you mentioned your concern?
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »
With the small CARTER its not going to be 100% correct just closer/better than some of the other options. That is something that you can't over come and its clearly (unless you have PS and AC) in sight when viewing the engine compartment. You can get things like the model number and date restamped. - again not invisible but allot less noticeable  once installed and a easy installation (on this version of the fuel pump) installation of a new rebuilt kit takes car of other issues Bob mentioned.  By the time you go through all those steps you IMHO need to consider if paying a premium for the label NOS is worth while in this situation

Many thanks Jeff for your opinion. My car has AC but no PS, so fuel pump is quite visible. From above you see directly if it is the correct style pump. Date codes cannot be seen from this position. Would these be a issue at Concours Driven class? I even don't know in which class my car would fit in best.
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »
Many thanks Jeff for your opinion. My car has AC but no PS, so fuel pump is quite visible. From above you see directly if it is the correct style pump. Date codes cannot be seen from this position. Would these be a issue at Concours Driven class? I even don't know in which class my car would fit in best.

Yes the markings on the side of the case - CARTER verses CARbureTER would be noted and likely deducted for since that detail is not original for your car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)