Author Topic: Lift front of car on 4 post lift  (Read 1319 times)

Offline dkknab

Lift front of car on 4 post lift
« on: September 01, 2023, 09:22:35 PM »
I've always struggled with lifting the front of my car on  4 post lift. The rear is relatively simple because of the rear transaxle. The front is more complicated and the jacking points don't line up with the lift. Any tips on lifting the front to remove the front wheels with out getting a specific jack? I have a Benpak 9.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Lift front of car on 4 post lift
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 10:02:35 PM »
I've always struggled with lifting the front of my car on  4 post lift. The rear is relatively simple because of the rear transaxle. The front is more complicated and the jacking points don't line up with the lift. Any tips on lifting the front to remove the front wheels with out getting a specific jack? I have a Benpak 9.
I think you meant rear axle housing since your car does not have a transaxle.  That is if we are talking Mustang as this forum is focused on. The 4 post lifts that i have seen had a plate that overlapped the runners that the car drives up on . The plate overlaps runners and then drops down below them as it stretches between the two runners. This is so that there is no way it could move sideways enough to fall through the two runners. This plate is used to put jacks on so as to lift the car in the front or the rear. The plate can be slid forward or back to go where it needs to be positioned .I currently have a car up in front and back on jack stands using the described plates .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 10:07:57 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 10:14:45 PM »
I think you meant rear axle housing since your car does not have a transaxle.  That is if we are talking Mustang as this forum is focused on. The 4 post lifts that i have seen had a plate that overlapped the runners that the car drives up on . The plate overlaps runners and then drops down below them as it stretches between the two runners. This is so that there is no way it could move sideways enough to fall through the two runners. This plate is used to put jacks on so as to lift the car in the front or the rear. The plate can be slid forward or back to go where it needs to be positioned .I currently have a car up in front and back on jack stands using the described plates .
I typically use a bottle jack to the lift the car on the 4 post lift.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dkknab

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 10:54:44 PM »

The bottle jack works ok for the rear end. Sorry for the incorrect terminology.  Can you share pictures of what you are referring to,? A picture of how your front end is lifted would be helpful.  I can more easily lift the rear end.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 10:59:09 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 11:08:39 PM »
If you're asking about what positions under the car to place the lift points, I had the same problem.  I took a 2x4, cut a groove in it to fit the side pinch weld, and used the flat of the board to lift the car.  Otherwise, you can use the rear pad next to the front part of the rear springs and the front rail up front.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline dave6768

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 11:06:27 AM »
Bendpak makes a "sliding jack Platform".  Go to their site and watch the video on the options for the 4 post lifts.  It's what you're looking for.
I would love to get one.  I'm thinking about replacing my entire front end on the lift....this would be the ticket.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 12:08:19 PM »
The bottle jack works ok for the rear end. Sorry for the incorrect terminology.  Can you share pictures of what you are referring to,? A picture of how your front end is lifted would be helpful.  I can more easily lift the rear end.
Here is a picture of on that is the same MFG you say your lift is made by. Also a Youtube video of one.
   hhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcVXdErZ_L0&t=32s
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 12:10:59 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline dkknab

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 03:58:24 PM »
Bendpak makes a "sliding jack Platform".  Go to their site and watch the video on the options for the 4 post lifts.  It's what you're looking for.
I would love to get one.  I'm thinking about replacing my entire front end on the lift....this would be the ticket.

The rolling jack would be great but at nearly $2000, that's a lot for how infrequently it would be used.

I have the platform to hold bottle jacks but my issue is getting the car up in the first place to put the jack stands in place which tends to be easier on the rear end using the 3rd member to jack up the rear.

On the front I don't want to use either of the crossmembers to lift the car and the best place to put the jack stands are not always right on the main platforms or the perpendicular sliding one.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior