Author Topic: Alternator Ink Stamp Discussion  (Read 10543 times)

Offline petersixtfive

Re: Alternator Ink Stamp Discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 08:20:08 AM »
Could someone clarify if a 65 standard alternator (no ac or power anything) had the autolite ink stamp from new
I read some where that 65 may or may not have hade the ink stamp applied
Car is SJ 4 speed July 65 build no ac
Thanks
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »
According to the MCA Judging rules 1965 may not have a stamp have the Autolite ink stamp.

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »
It is my understanding that the '65s anyway had the stamp applied to the bottom (when viewed installed) but I have had my alternator restored by Jack at Dead Nuts On and he applied the stamp to the bottom and the top......

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 06:38:42 PM »
1965 wasn't the only alternator to have the stamp on the bottom of V8 equipped cars. Go to the drivetrain section of this web site reference 1968 starters and you'll see a engine being installed in a 1968 Cougar. The alternator stamp is clearly on the bottom of the unit.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »
Could someone clarify if a 65 standard alternator (no ac or power anything) had the autolite ink stamp from new
I read some where that 65 may or may not have hade the ink stamp applied
Car is SJ 4 speed July 65 build no ac
Thanks
It would typically have a ink stamp seen from the bottom when mounted on a late production 65 . In early 1969 Ford started having the alternators metal stamped instead of ink stamped. Jack Brooks stamps his alts in both places because of pressure from the restored crowd to have the stamp in the most typical place (seen from the bottom) and also in a place where the detail is readily seen but much less typical (top side).
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »

Would have to check - possibly FoMoCo  not sure when the change over was on alternators

As far as the current reproductions - we have seen a very small number of double stamped housings - not sure if this was according to plan or my mistake. Either way it allows someone to double stamp though I would much rather see and would request any ones I purchase only to be stamped on the bottom for my cars. Of course after the judges getting use to seeing them on the top I would always remind the judges at a show that the alternator is stamped - just on the bottom till we got them use to only having one stamp on them ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:58:43 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 12:29:31 AM »
...and also in a place where the detail is readily seen but much less typical (top side).

Except for 6 cyl cars  :P  :D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
Except for 6 cyl cars  :P  :D
Thanks for making the distintsion. I have tunnelvision when it comes to engines in the 65-70 and forget about the 6cyl.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
+1 1965 wasn't the only alternator to have the stamp on the bottom of V8 equipped cars.

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy an Autolite decal for a '66 Mustang k-code? I found a place in Australia selling them but shipping was $60 so I didn't order. I know originally they were stamped but being that I don't even have the correct alternator, I have a modern alternator, I'm OK with the decal. However, if decals aren't available, I would consider reproduced stamps.

Thanks!
Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute built from ground-up over 12 years and finally being driven!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 05:52:20 PM »
The stamps have been made by a number of members and others sell them on EBay from time to time. You would want to compare the stamp to original stampings to gauge how correct they are for you usage.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:06:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66TotalPerf

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response. I've seen these stamps on ebay in the past but was hoping there were other options. I'll keep watching ebay for a stamp.

-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute built from ground-up over 12 years and finally being driven!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »
Considering the rough casting surface of the alternator housing a sticker is not going to attach or stay attached very well anyway.  Sounds like you don't really car about being too correct given what you have offered so far. You might get one of the members PMing you with an offer for a stamp that might be more correct than the Ebay option. Might wait and see
Jeff Speegle

Offline rrenz

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/sch/spads426/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I got mine from this guy on eBay a year or so ago. Ive never really compared it to an original but it has a nice appearance. Could try contacting him and see if he has one for your application.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/sch/spads426/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I got mine from this guy on eBay a year or so ago. Ive never really compared it to an original but it has a nice appearance. Could try contacting him and see if he has one for your application.
A nice appearance maybe but if you compare it to original you will be very disappointed.