Author Topic: Thoughts on Trunk Restoration - 69 Boss 302  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Aussie_Boss302

Thoughts on Trunk Restoration - 69 Boss 302
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
My trunk area is really solid and one area I believe can be restored correctly.

It looks like I need to strip everything down, apply primer, paint and then try to replicate the sound deadener.  I'm interested in some thought that'll make the process more productive.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Thoughts on Trunk Restoration - 69 Boss 302
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 07:43:16 PM »
My trunk area is really solid and one area I believe can be restored correctly.

It looks like I need to strip everything down, apply primer, paint and then try to replicate the sound deadener.  I'm interested in some thought that'll make the process more productive.

I suggest you take allot more pictures (we have other examples to help fill in the blanks - where yours are missing)

You'll want to apply the seam sealers and sound deadener before the paint since they were originally applied first. Your car will get two paint applications since its a Boss - due to the blacking out of some areas, overspray and the results
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Aussie_Boss302

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 11:58:36 PM »
I can definitely clean up and take pictures of the blacked out areas.

It does look like the sound deadener was applied after paint, or is it the paint on the sound deadener didn’t “survive”?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 05:31:26 AM »
I can definitely clean up and take pictures of the blacked out areas.

It does look like the sound deadener was applied after paint, or is it the paint on the sound deadener didn’t “survive”?

As mentioned have pictures of others (think I've go one unrestored car from around your same date) to help also

Yes the spray sealant remained flexible for a long long time so it chipped and wore off quickly. I've always been able to find paint over the sound deadener or sealant some place and if it was in one place it was over all  originally. You can find some unrestored example where 95% of the paint is gone while others where it held up pretty well. same sort of thing you can find with the spray on seam sealers used at this factory in 69 on the interior.

Now there are examples of "restored cars" where the builder added the products after the paint  and of course there are owners of cars that went back over the areas that have fallen, cracked or peeled off in an effort to repair the surface before restoration took place.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Aussie_Boss302

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »
As mentioned have pictures of others (think I've go one unrestored car from around your same date) to help also

Hey Jeff,

Please post pictures of how the trunk area is suppose to look.  I’m grappling with “stripping” everything down to bare metal or trying to repair/restore what I have.  This week I’ll be thoroughly cleaning and documenting what’s there.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Just as a reminder to those watching or reading in the future, your car is 9F02G1865xx and was completed on 4/30/69.

Since regular production only started a few weeks prior to this date it appears from examples some practices may have been different from those that followed in later months so want to at least remind others that the information   provided is focusing on your production period as best we can at this point.

Choice or redoing your whole trunk (stripping down and replacing everything) or repairing sealers and sound deadeners then repainting is one you'll have to decide since your the person that knows the rest of the plans for the vehicle and what would be a better match for your end goal.  If you don't have rust concerns of it growing under the factory products then repairing, feathering paint edges and recoating may be the best choice sine you'll never get the replacement seam sealers and sound deadener exactly like it was originally.  On the other hand this may take more effort. Just a choice.

Lets look at some examples from the same time period. Of course you would first have the exterior color applied to the trunk during the paint process. This would have been applied over the seam sealer (both spray on and that applied from a chalking gun and worked) as well as sound deadener. No real effort was to paint anything that would not be seen by the customer standing at the rear of the car with trunk lid open,  within reason,  so bottoms of quarter panels, areas inward and above wheel houses, up under the rear window edge and other corners in the trunk often got missed with direct application of body color

As we know after the body color was applied areas of the exterior and trunk were sprayed with a low gloss black as part of the Boss 302 package. This included the panel in front of and between it and the rear window as well as the taillight panel as well as the bottom of the trunk lid. Just focusing on the trunk and the opening at this point.

The ends, as they progressed into the trunk opening were tapped off at an angle as shown in the pictures below.

At the forward part of the opening there appears to have been no effort to mask off the rest of the trunk so the worker spraying covered the trunk hinges, their mounting or attaching brackets and over spray continued down onto the surround surfaces. Amount would depend on the worker, angle of application and other factors. Here is an example. The seam sealer sprayed around the wheel house and trap door surround appears to have been repaired or recoated.  You can see in the upper part of the pictures (just happens to be the same color as your car :) the black over blue described above.

Now the handling of the back side (trunk side) of the taillight panel appears on an example built on the same or with-in a day or so of your car is what is unusual and may be part of an early effort to control overspray and paint spray during this whole process. As we think of the process we have the painter painting the exterior trunk panels as well as these trunk (bottom of lid, hinges, and corners) and the paint and overspray would have wanted to pass through the taillight and gas filler openings.  In the example below it appears that the guys on the line attempted to restrict the passing of the paint from one area to the other by masking off the rear taillight panel on the inside behind the trunk latch and taillight bracket with multiple sheets of paper.  Your car may have been similar as it appears in at least one of your pictures black paint on the taillight mounting bracket but no black behind it on the taillight panel.

On later built cars I have different patterns likely due to different practices in masking and attempts to control or limit overspray

Now on the quarter panels efforts were made to keep the black within the trunk area by placing small masks over the rear side marker openings. Even if not allot of black paint reached this area due to spray pattern on a particular car they were still used. The outline and effectiveness is illustrated in the picture below.

Do you have a need to discuss or see seam sealers and sound deadener patterns?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Aussie_Boss302

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I’ll post my unrestored pictures once I’ve cleaned everything.