Author Topic: 1968 Brake Pedal Bumper  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 Brake Pedal Bumper
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
I have experience with both manuals and automatics. I recognized your pedal design as soon as you posted the picture. Most people dont realize the non power brake stuff is all different as well. The 67 and 68 pedals actually differ as well. My experience is Shelby, but I can not imagine San Jose ised a bumper in NJ did not.

Find an original bumper and I will recant.  ;D

I know this is clutch, but it may help some...

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/clutch
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:18:01 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
Wow.  Very informative.  I thought you meant the booster to MC rod.  Anyway, I have a Midland booster and the rod does look like a "P" or as he called it, teardrop. My rod is also adjustable. So, it looks like I have the '68 pedal, rod and booster. When I took the rod of the brake pedal stud, the rod just hung down in it's boot and it came out of the boot pretty easily.  Keep in mind, that the brakes worked very well.  I got into this only because the pedal metal tab to the bracket "clang" was very annoying and I figured I just needed a bumper.

Is the push rod supposed to be mechanically retained in the booster and that is what keeps it from returning too far and clanging?

Thanks for all your help

Dave

1.) I have not seen a Midland booster with an adjustable rod for the under-dash pedal connection. Could you post a picture? (Adjustable rod behind Master Cylinder, YES)

2.) Yes, the 67-68's (per video) are mechanically held into the booster to prevent clanking. I believe the hole seen on the brake pedal for a 68 is for a Cruise Control Switch, typically NOT USED.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
Oh snap, a reason for the hole! Excellent suggestion
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:12:14 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »
1.) I have not seen a Midland booster with an adjustable rod for the under-dash pedal connection. Could you post a picture? (Adjustable rod behind Master Cylinder, YES)

2.) Yes, the 67-68's (per video) are mechanically held into the booster to prevent clanking. I believe the hole seen on the brake pedal for a 68 is for a Cruise Control Switch, typically NOT USED.
Right or wrong, here is a picture of the pedal push rod.  Certainly not an original as it is pretty shiny.  I guess I don't understand what is it in the back of the booster that keeps the push rod retained and keeps it from snapping back the pedal all the way so that the tab does not hit the bracket.  In the video, he mentioned needing to put the '69 booster rod in the vice to pop it out.  But, it looked like it was not held in by anything on the '67-'68 Midland  Is it the boot that holds it back?

Does anyone one know the measurements of the correct non-adjustable push rod?
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »
I vote: not the correct part. Maybe contributing to your problems. I might suggesting calling Booster Dewey, he probably has seen more of these than any of us.....

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »
[
  I believe the hole seen on the brake pedal for a 68 is for a Cruise Control Switch, typically NOT USED.
[/quote]

+1 it is used for the cruse control switch.

I believe when you get rid of the after market parts your noise will be gone.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
just think, they built thousands and thousands of cars with that pedal, for just a few hundred that actually used the hole for the switch.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »
I believe the hole seen on the brake pedal for a 68 is for a Cruise Control Switch, typically NOT USED.

Respectfully (not auguring just discussing the subject ;)

Got something to illustrate that? Looking at the C8WY kit at least the signal for the disengaging for one of the suppliers appears to come from the brake light switch. So electrical not a direct mechanical operation - sort of Red Arrow in the picture below. As a side note that is how 69 systems are designed

Appears to be the Dana supplied kit. Not sure if the Bendix differs in this detail.

Need to find the installation instructions for the 67 kit I had.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 09:41:58 PM »
What do you make of this diagram on the speed control page of the 68 Electrical assembly manual?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 09:51:38 PM »
What do you make of this diagram on the speed control page of the 68 Electrical assembly manual?

Possibly for the other supplier and ford choose to illustrate that one on that page. You'll notice that the switch as illustrated in the assembly manual is not included in the kit as shown.

Bottom line is that the drawing suggest IMHO that someone at some point designed the pedal with the hole for some purpose (likely this one application) though we don't know if the purpose was dropped or supplier changed their design of the cruise control parts and installation.  We know that each drawing that Jim put in the reprinted manual is a snap shot in time but we don't know what was done before nor after that point in time.

Could you provide the revision date from that page?

Date on the box the kit came from was late in the 68 production year Believe it was May 68 but will double check and correct if needed
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 11:13:09 PM »
The revision date is 2-6-68.

RPO equipment may have been different than the kits sold to dealers. Just a thought

My point was the bracket was not used for a bumper.
Marty

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »
Shot and a goal...great find Marty! Great thread

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 11:54:19 PM »
The revision date is 2-6-68.

Thanks - it suggests that something on that page was done differently prior to that date or there was a mistake on the page for all those months but it does give us a point in time

My point was the bracket was not used for a bumper.

Think we're in agreement :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 12:14:28 AM »
See post #5 lol

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 01:10:49 AM »
See post #5 lol

Saw it when you posted it :) Sometimes paths are straight while others are more scenic. As long as we reach the end of the journey hopefully together and at the same spot grass-hopper
Jeff Speegle