Author Topic: Painting kick panels  (Read 637 times)

Offline 68 GT

Painting kick panels
« on: December 06, 2022, 03:44:38 AM »
For our 67 restoration, can new kick panels be painted? The cars interior color code is 2B. Figure I?d buy light blue kick panels from NPD. But if they don?t match the painted portion of the door and quarter panel trim, I was wondering if they could be painted the same light blue as the doors and quarter panel trim, and dash and steering column as well for that matter. The paint code for the interior light blue is 5748. Can the lower dash pad and windshield pillar pads also get painted with the light blue paint, 5748? Seems like if all of the light blue components matched the interior would look better than having slightly different shades of light blue, in my opinion.
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Painting kick panels
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 10:57:49 AM »
For our 67 restoration, can new kick panels be painted? The cars interior color code is 2B. Figure I?d buy light blue kick panels from NPD. But if they don?t match the painted portion of the door and quarter panel trim, I was wondering if they could be painted the same light blue as the doors and quarter panel trim, and dash and steering column as well for that matter. The paint code for the interior light blue is 5748. Can the lower dash pad and windshield pillar pads also get painted with the light blue paint, 5748? Seems like if all of the light blue components matched the interior would look better than having slightly different shades of light blue, in my opinion.
They can be painted but don't expect the surface to be very durable against rubbing contact.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 12:34:18 PM »
They can be painted but don't expect the surface to be very durable against rubbing contact.

+1, they will get tapped/bumped with getting in and out of the car.  Having a similar color as the base would keep it from being so obvious though.

Main thing with these is prep-work.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 12:55:14 PM »
i would not use paint. i would use SEM vinyl dye & follow the prep instructions to the letter. i have found that product to be quite durable.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 05:38:07 PM »
Remember its all about prep. Clean, clean, and clean again. And don't forget or at least consider a promoter before the color coat
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 09:39:52 PM »
Thanks everyone!!
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68