Author Topic: chrome plating outside rearview mirror  (Read 414 times)

Offline warp1

chrome plating outside rearview mirror
« on: March 31, 2024, 12:00:43 PM »
I have a rectangular non-remote outside rearview mirror, casting number C5AB-17743-C which was used on Mustangs over a few years. The mirror body is attached to the base the same way all of the 1960?s Ford cars mirrors were assembled, and probably the 1970?s also.  I want to have it chrome plated. I removed the glass, and have tried to pull the ball end stud out of the base, but was unable. I don?t see how to remove the body from the base without doing damage to it. Has anyone ever disassembled any of the old Ford mirrors? Thanks.

Offline kkupec02

Re: chrome plating outside rearview mirror
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 09:23:37 PM »
My 1967 has to be removed from the door via the interior door panel before the base and rectangular part can be separated.
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 11:20:20 PM »
My 1967 has to be removed from the door via the interior door panel before the base and rectangular part can be separated.

He may be referring to a non-remote mirror. Lets see  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline warp1

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 09:27:38 AM »
I am referring to the non remote rectangular mirrors. Also, I didn't mean how to remove the mirror from the car. What I was asking was how the actual mirror assembly can be taken apart without damaging it. I need to separate the rectangular mirror part from the mounting base. The ball end stud that attaches them together is pressed into the base, and I haven't come up with a way to pull out.

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 12:37:55 PM »
Not seeing how a 65 goes together, my guess is the ball stud you see(mirror head side) is nutted on from the inside. So, you have to take the mirror off the car, look up inside and I bet you see a nut at the end of the stud. I could be wrong, put being press together doesn't sound right.

Offline warp1

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 04:18:07 PM »
Apparently, Ford never expected a mirror to be taken apart, and no provision was made. I'll buy an aftermarket mirror. 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 05:36:57 PM »
I found a couple on e-bay and other sources (I use duckduckgo dot com to search) using the Ford number C5AB-17743-C you referenced.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.