Author Topic: Goodyear WSW tires  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Keith Stem

Goodyear WSW tires
« on: August 19, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »
I was judging a 68 GT, S code, Dearborn Mustang at the MCA KC show and the car had Goodyear Polyglass thin white wall tires. No points were deducted, but I questioned the tires because the white wall was located closer to the rim and the writing on the tire was above the white wall. My 68.5 came with Firestone Polyglass thin white walls tires and the white wall was farther out toward the tread and the writing was inside closer to the rim.

The reason I questioned this is when I bought a set of Firestone Polyglass thin white walls tires from Coker Tire the white wall was located closer to the rim and the writing on the tire was above the white wall. This configuration did not match my original spare, I returned the tires and Coker admitted that the tire I bought was a GM tire, not the Ford design. Does anyone know if Ford ever used the Goodyear WSW tire on a 68 Mustang and where would the WSW be located?

Offline 67gta289

Re: Goodyear WSW tires
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 09:37:35 AM »
The key missing information: what judging class was this?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline MDGrande

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 01:17:35 PM »
I'm also doing some tire research for my 69 Grande. I know the car came with 735 X 14 thin white wall tires which I believe were Firestone Safety Champion 5/8" WSW

I've also seen pictures of Goodyear Dayton Flyer 735 X14 WSW tires which look similar which I read came on a 67 Camaro.

You might check for pictures of these two tires to see if they look similar to what your car had on it.  Don't know if GT's would come with a 735 in 68.

If anyone knows where I can find 5 NOS Firestone 735 X 14  bias tires with 5/8" white wall, please let me know.  Or any bias tire with this size and white wall for that matter.

Thx MDGrande

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »
I typed in "reproduction tires" on - duckduckgo.com - a search engine, and got a lot of hits. Try it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 07:30:32 PM »
The 68 GT was in a concours trailered class. The tires were F70-14, the correct size for the class.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 08:17:02 PM by carlite65 »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 10:27:24 PM »
Perhaps this should be posted on the MCA website forum - judging rules area.  I'm interested in what the judges think of this particular item.  I would expect in unrestored and thoroughbred to have the proper tires in all their original glory.  In concours driven, if I recall correctly, for a car that was originally WSW equipped, any WSW tires would probably be ok, even P-metric sized.  But concours trailered is, in my mind anyway, strategically placed between those bookends.  Given the problems finding appropriate tires (and batteries), it seems to me that more leeway compared to other items would be needed here.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »
IMHO Goodyear was also a Ford supplier, consequently I would not deduct for either brand even if the Coker Firestone has the stripe misplaced. In unrestored and thoroughbred classes original tires with correct date code would only be excepted(accepted). Concours driven and concours trailered classes reproduction parts are excepted(expected). FYI the 68 Shelby's used Goodyear tires.

Keith I have a 68 dealer option book that in the front pages it lists all of the tires and their specifications. It only pictures the tread and does not mention the manufacture. The page that shows the GT option with wide oval tires shows a tire with the white sidewall placed out side of the letter as you described. I found another vintage picture of the wide white wall design.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 09:50:58 AM by ruppstang »

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 08:21:47 PM »
Thanks for all the good comments, this is probably a subject that is very hard to find the absolute correct answer. From what I have seen in 1968 Mustang advertisements, other documents and my experience with Coker Tire, I firmly believe that a Wide Oval thin wall tire (Goodyear or Firestone) used by Ford had the thin white wall placed outward from the rim. I have also researched GM cars (mostly Camaro's) and found the thin white wall was placed closer the rim. The location of the white wall is not important in most MCA classes, and I would never deduct points for a correct size tire IAW the MCA judging sheet. The placement of the white wall could be an issue in the thoroughbred class. Again, thanks for all the good comments, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Keith