Author Topic: 69 NJ Finish's ?  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Brian Conway

69 NJ Finish's ?
« on: July 17, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
Would like to check with you guys for a double check before proceeding further.  The car is a 9/19/68 built Metuchen 428 CJ.  Phosphate and Oil finish on; hood hinges, shock tower to firewall braces, shock tower caps and the coil bracket.  Thanks for taking a look.  Brian
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:17:51 PM by J_Speegle »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 NJ Finish's ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
Would like to check with you guys for a double check before proceeding further.  The car is a 9/19/68 built Metuchen 428 CJ.  Phosphate and Oil finish on;

For 69 NJ Mustangs
coil bracket - Yes

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4.0

FAQ's updated :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:18:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
Thank you Jeff.  Yes I checked the FAQ section first.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »
The correct finish for the nuts and bolts attaching the shock tower cap (3)and the shock absorber (2) ?  Thanks, Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 02:46:50 PM »
The correct finish for the nuts and bolts attaching the shock tower cap (3)and the shock absorber (2) ?  Thanks, Brian
The correct finish on the hardware doesn't matter if the hardware is incorrect  ;) . Zinc phosphate on the correct nuts and zinc silver on the correct shock bolts. The shock bolts you can order online the correct nuts are junk yard source since I am aware that AMK doesn't have the right ones (for 69).
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 03:51:50 PM »
     Thank you Bob for sharing the finish information.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Would like some help with the Hood Hinge bolt finish.  Seems the correct finish for the Hinges themselves is Phosphate and Oil.  Grey/Brown ?  The after market indicates Black Phosphate for the bolts.  Three into the fender wall and two into the hood each side.  Is Black Oxide the correct finish for the 5 bolts ?  Thanks,  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 06:11:49 PM »
Would like some help with the Hood Hinge bolt finish.  Seems the correct finish for the Hinges themselves is Phosphate and Oil.  Grey/Brown ?  The after market indicates Black Phosphate for the bolts.  Three into the fender wall and two into the hood each side.  Is Black Oxide the correct finish for the 5 bolts ?  Thanks,  Brian

Took a while to find some that didn't have some surface rust (like we see on the hinges also) on these NJ examples

Found three examples where they were not so weathered and monotone and it appears that the bolts had the same finish as the fender edge bolts like we see at other plants

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »
Excellent.  Great pictures Jeff and thanks for taking the time.   

To catch up with the NJ Finish's;  The fender bolts I got from AMK and they are the Cadmiun finish.  The Shock Tower cap bolts are Clear Zinc.   Brian
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:24:09 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
Took a while to find some that didn't have some surface rust (like we see on the hinges also) on these NJ examples
Found three examples where they were not so weathered and monotone and it appears that the bolts had the same finish as the fender edge bolts like we see at other plants
Hope this helps

There appears to be a nut between the bolt's washer and the hinge, an indication that something is - what? It looks like the hood has been removed and the bolts used to reinstall were too long, used possibly for hood alignment, so a nut was used as a spacer. This is to keep a too long of a bolt from making a dent in the hood. In any case the hood and hinge should not considered as factory.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »
Sure it's not just the hood your seeing rather than a nut below the washer ? Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »
There appears to be a nut between the bolt's washer and the hinge, an indication that something is - what? It looks like the hood has been removed and the bolts used to reinstall were too long, used possibly for hood alignment, so a nut was used as a spacer. This is to keep a too long of a bolt from making a dent in the hood. In any case the hood and hinge should not considered as factory.
Jim

Believe that the angle is such that you see the adjusting slot fully  (due to how the hood is adjusted) and part on the J nut rather than some nut or spaced

If a nut had been installed on the bolt you would not be able to see it from this angle considering the large washer used at that particular spot IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »
 author=Bob Gaines
The correct finish on the hardware doesn't matter if the hardware is incorrect  ;) . Zinc phosphate on the correct nuts and zinc silver on the correct shock bolts. The shock bolts you can order online the correct nuts are junk yard source since I am aware that AMK doesn't have the right ones (for 69).

Bob Is saying the shock tower nuts (6) should be Zinc Phosphate in finish/color.  It seems Zinc Phosphate can be different shades or colors ?  My understanding is ' Dark Grey/Brown '.  If Bob would like to define a zinc phosphate color that would be correct that would clear that up.  Jeff; pictures would also clear up that mystery for me as well.  The fender and hood hinge bolts are the same ?  Would the shock tower cap 6 nuts be that same finish ?   Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:59:55 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 01:03:58 AM »
author=Bob Gaines

Bob Is saying the shock tower nuts (6) should be Zinc Phosphate in finish/color.  It seems Zinc Phosphate can be different shades or colors ?  My understanding is ' Dark Grey/Brown '.  If Bob would like to define a zinc phosphate color that would be correct that would clear that up.  Jeff; pictures would also clear up that mystery for me as well.  The fender and hood hinge bolts are the same ?  Would the shock tower cap 6 nuts be that same finish ?   Thanks,  Brian
First off I believe that Dearborn and NJ use the same 6 "tall" nuts for the upper shock bracket . The correct style is unlike what you have now if they in fact are like Dearborn as I suspect. The style I am speaking of were zinc phosphate which ranges in shade from a light to dark gray. The style that you have now in the picture I have always seen zinc silver but as i said I am skeptical that they are original to your NJ car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 01:31:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply and explanation.  Pictures of the wire wheeled parts that were on the car when I got it.  They may not be OE but hard to imagine why not.  The car is a September 68 build so maybe parts left from the 68 model run ?  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.