Author Topic: Serial Number Plate  (Read 1021 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Serial Number Plate
« on: June 10, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
I am in the process of installing my S/N plate back on the body under the windshield and would like to refinish the metal base, but am not sure what I should use for refinishing the metal the S/N is stamped into. It does not appear to be painted but is more of a bluing/black type anodized type finish. Any help would be appreciated.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Serial Number Plate
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »
I am in the process of installing my S/N plate back on the body under the windshield and would like to refinish the metal base, but am not sure what I should use for refinishing the metal the S/N is stamped into. It does not appear to be painted but is more of a bluing/black type anodized type finish. Any help would be appreciated.
If you are referring to the black box with the curly ques around the perimeter it is acid etched onto the metal plate before the plate is stamped. ECS makes the best alternative decal to the original if yours has been damaged.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:02:08 PM »
If you are referring to the black box with the curly ques around the perimeter it is acid etched onto the metal plate before the plate is stamped. ECS makes the best alternative decal to the original if yours has been damaged.

If you go this route I suggest that you cut the center section, where the stamped VIN and characters are, out of the clear decal.  The film will not conform to the stampings, may buckle or lift in that area. 

Just a suggestion ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:35 AM »
Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough, its not what you are describing it for the VIN and have attached a picture.
Its the piece that is pop riveted to the body under the windshield.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:24:01 AM by 1970 Snake »
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 02:17:29 AM »
Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough, its not what you are describing it for the VIN and have attached a picture.
Its the piece that is pop riveted to the body under the windshield.

They are thinking '69 models ;-)

I always thought they were just painted, but maybe it is more of a black annodized coating?
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!