Author Topic: Fog light wiring for a 10/23/65 car?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Rexter

Fog light wiring for a 10/23/65 car?
« on: June 03, 2023, 07:26:51 AM »
Hi everyone.
I've been looking a lot on this forum but can't quite find the answer to what I'm looking for regarding wiring for the fog lights.
First here's some info about the car:

I have a car with info: vin 6R09A, body 63B, color A, trim 65, date 23k, dso 51, axle 1, trans 6.

This car has everything a GT should have, reinforcement plates, crush tubes, K/H disc brakes and so on.

The car has mostly original parts, but some small things have been replaced over the years.

For the fog lights there is a black wire from the firewall which is spliced together with a white or gray (hard to decide on the color) wire, approximately above the windshield washer pump. The wires are taped into the wiring harness.

Unfortunately, the wiring has been tampered with quite a bit and this is where I have some questions:

1: Should there be a separate gray wire from the firewall to the fog lights and a short black ground wire to each fog light for this car?

2: What would be the correct part numbers and what does this wiring harness look like (should the wires be taped into the wiring harness)?

3: Is there any reproduction of this wiring harness? What would be the closest one?

Attached are some pictures of the wiring harness.

Offline 196667Bob

Re: Fog light wiring for a 10/23/65 car?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 12:59:20 PM »
Rexter : Welcome to our Forum ! I am sure you will find it "enlightening" (especially with this Post.

Hopefully, the attached (from the 1966 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, and the 1966 Wiring Diagram Manual) will answer your questions.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 01:45:11 PM »
First,
Welcome. My 66 Mustang GT Fastback HP was built at San Jose five days before yours so I am familiar with your fog lamp wiring.
First here's some info about the car:
I have a car with info: vin 6R09A, body 63B, color A, trim 65, date 23k, dso 51, axle 1, trans 6.
1: Should there be a separate gray wire from the firewall to the fog lights and a short black ground wire to each fog light for this car?
Yes. There is a second wire to the right hand fog lamp that comes from the left hand lamp connector that also has the feed from the firewall.
2: What would be the correct part numbers and what does this wiring harness look like (should the wires be taped into the wiring harness)?
The assembly line Ford part numbers are as shown in the drawings Bob posted.
3: Is there any reproduction of this wiring harness? What would be the closest one?
Yes. The originals did not have any "stamped on the wire" identification. I would recommend either Virginia Classic Mustang http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/ or National Parts Depot http://www.npdlink.com/ for replacement (both of those parts sellers are members of this forum). Unfortunately, neither seller uses the exact Ford part number in their catalogs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Rexter

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 07:14:15 AM »
Thanks Bob and Jim.

Conclusion to get the fog light feed correct for this car: The fog light feed is not a part of the headlight harness but a separate gray wire from the firewall to the fog lights, and it is a short black ground wire to each fog light.

Here are a couple of pictures of the car.