Author Topic: '67 Smog Pump, SJ 289 c-code with PS - No A/C  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Fastback2013

Re: '67 Smog Pump, SJ 289 c-code with PS - No A/C
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 03:38:00 PM »
Hello Jeff,

With lots of blush I must admit, that I never ever have removed a fan belt or/and pulley :-\
So I do not know where to start.
I'll guess there are some tutorials on the internet  ;)?
But thanks for clearing that out, so now I know what I must do.

Appreciated if you could find the answer on the finish of those spacers!
At the AMK catalog, page 168 - the 289 smog pump 66-67 spacers are in finish S8 (item B-13191).
I do not know if it is the same, nor if they have the finish correct, but it is perhaps an indication?

Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »
With lots of blush I must admit, that I never ever have removed a fan belt or/and pulley :-\

The biggest challenge is keeping the fan, bolt heads or wrenches from touching the rear radiator fins. Some will place a thin piece of cardboard over the surface while other with fancier tastes will have pre-cut sheets of thin plastic that fit over the front or rear surface to protect during assembly. Real shade tree's I've seen have used a license plate or just run the risks. Once you have them loosened you can try and remove them the rest of the way until they are not still attached to the water pump (fan will need supporting during the process once you get more than three loose)

The bolts will stay in the fan and in the spacer and once all are loose you pull that assembly out carefully leaving only the pulley on the water pump to remove. The spacer and or the pulley can get stuck on the water pump snout so that will have to be addressed carefully if it happens. 

To reinstall reverse the process (installing all the bolts through the fan and spacer) with the pulley already in place and the holes aligned with the water pump holes

If you have a clutch style fan then all you have to do is to remove (while supporting the fan and protecting the radiator) the four much shorter bolts that hold the clutch to the water pump

At the AMK catalog, page 168 - the 289 smog pump 66-67 spacers are in finish S8 (item B-13191).
I do not know if it is the same, nor if they have the finish correct, but it is perhaps an indication?

Would support the zinc idea but as always I'm much more comfortable when we can find documentation of how Ford thought or wanted it done and how things were done or finished originally. When they both match then I think we can feel confident
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »
Here is a picture of one from my car (Dec 66 from San Jose).  If you have AC, you would only have one, but a none AC car would have 2.  So in your picture, that is 2 spacers on the one bolt.  I thought it was interesting that they were stamped with FoMoCo.  From the 3 I have, I can not detect any signs of any type of coating.  Mine were rusty like bare steel. 
John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 10:25:52 PM »

As promised found some pictures and though they are old, dirty and crusty (factory photos were too grainy to use) there appears to be some plating IMHO suggested by the pictures when you start comparing their finish to the items around them

First had allot that were just rusty. Along with the adjusting arm, bolt and sometimes water pump surface

They were also used in 66 for the same purpose. On these the finish appears to no longer be present if there originally

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 04:26:34 PM »
I found a Service Replacement Pump, said to be for a 390 but some of the "Machined Surfaces" are painted. Ford Service Part box dated 4/27/68

I have mine done but particularly the back plate (semi-gloss black painted), I have machined off the paint in the machined areas and now wonder about this detail. (see images, a really nice NOS example)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 05:02:25 PM »
I found a Service Replacement Pump, said to be for a 390 but some of the "Machined Surfaces" are painted. Ford Service Part box dated 4/27/68

I have mine done but particularly the back plate (semi-gloss black painted), I have machined off the paint in the machined areas and now wonder about this detail. (see images, a really nice NOS example)

Why do you wonder about the "detail"?  Not unusual for service parts to be painted or coated differently to protect them as they sit on a shelf for an extended period of time.  Your third picture from the top appears to have one of the surfaces bare along the front face that we've seen bare on others.  Maybe its just the angle of the photo.

Personally have seen 100-200-? or more originals with the machined surfaces. Most of the time these surfaces are rusty while the surface around those points is still black or not rusty. Just mt observations
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:05:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
Why do you wonder about the "detail"?  Not unusual for service parts to be painted or coated differently to protect them as they sit on a shelf for an extended period of time.  Your third picture from the top appears to have one of the surfaces bare along the front face that we've seen bare on others.  Maybe its just the angle of the photo.

Personally have seen 100-200-? or more originals with the machined surfaces. Most of the time these surfaces are rusty while the surface around those points is still black or not rusty. Just mt observations

Just throwing out a monkey wrench I suppose... ::)

Attached are some images of what I have done to mine.
Anyone reading along or observing please disregard the head markings off the bolts since those are not the original bolts. Those particular bolts are used simply to hold it together till I get a batch of my original bolts refinished.

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »
Just throwing out a monkey wrench I suppose... ::)

Fully understand (do it all the time) that when we see something different we often question past beliefs. This causes us or should to take moment and refresh our self as to how we reached that understanding, the number of other examples that helped along the way and sometimes bouncing the idea off someone else. All part of the process that keeps us from jumping to a conclusion.

Appreciate you mentioning the bolt heads for everyones benefit ;) 
Jeff Speegle