Author Topic: Engine Oil Dipsticks  (Read 1821 times)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Engine Oil Dipsticks
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:35:03 PM »
Getting ready to list my used engine oil dipsticks on the online catalog.
While comparing these to the Drake reproductions, it appears that Scott Drake was in error between his 1967 and 1968-73 289/302 reproduction dipsticks.
I am seeing two different suppliers or manufacturers of engine oil dipsticks for several years running.
The 1967 dipsticks are marked C7OE-6750-B - These have small non-bell shaped shields on the ends. One has a manufacturers mark of B & E. Each has it's own style of finger loop.
*Note - These generally all came from 1967 Mercury Cougar 289 C or A code engines which were all manufactured in Dearborn.
The 1968 dipsticks are marked C8OE-6750-B - These have full bell shaped shields on the ends. One has a manufacturers mark of back to back B's? & M. Each has it's own style of finger loop.
*Note - These generally all came from 1968 Mercury Cougar 289 C engines, 302 F code, 302 J code engines which could have been manufactured in Dearborn or San Jose.

Anyone care to say what part of the year any of these were used?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine Oil Dipsticks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
Scott its not surprising that a reproduction part is off - especially considering the source. Great people but their source for parts to copy/reproduce was typically NOS/service replacement parts rather than original parts. And that is why much of their reproduction look like service replacements

Will have to go through  a  bunch of pictures and see what I can offer ;) Of course I can only provide the visual clues not the part numbers typically considering the way my pictures were taken

Don't know that I've ever seen ones with ends like your 67 B or 68 8  examples in your picture
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)