Author Topic: Playboy Pink  (Read 2967 times)

priceless

Playboy Pink
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
A buddy of mine found a '67 coupe with a 289. He said the previous owner he bought it from said it was originally playboy pink. I let him know I'd find out any information I could.

Ok, if anyone can shed some light here for me,it would be appreciated.

The VIN# on the fender apron reads 7T01C1588xx. The door tag VIN# matches fender apron. Also, here is the rest of the door data plate.

BODY   COLOR   TRIM   DATE   DSO       -    -
 65A                   2U      23M    227012

I purposely left out the Axle and Trans.  Notice, it has no color code, but has a 6 digit DSO. I'm assuming it may have something to do with playboy pink?
Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Offline ruppstang

Re: Playboy Pink
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:26 PM »
The blank paint code and the extra number on the DSO does indicate it is a special paint car. I would order a Marti report that would give the paint color. But from what I understand Ford did not call the color playboy pink because it was copy righted. Marty

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303

priceless

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
I did find out that it is a special paint color.  But in fact, not Dusk Rose.  Dusk Rose has a paint code in the door data plate space, the paint code for Dusk Rose  is "S" for 1967.  Special paint color code is blank on the door data plate but may not be called "Playboy Pink'. We just know its a special paint Mustang that looks Pink in color. It just happened to be labeled "unofficially" Playboy Pink back in 1967.  The 7012 at the end of the DSO is in fact a paint code for the Charlotte,NC area. 275 Mustangs were ordered through the Charlotte area with the 7012 special paint code. More to come....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »
Only way your going to figure out the original color is to find the build sheet since it will like the code for the paint. Kevin Marti can only help if you sent him a panel from the car so he can compare it to the factory fleet book (a number of us have those) and cross reference that way - since Ford didn't keep records as to what color they painted every special order paint car. On a long shot - if you car was one of a number of cars all ordered the same special paint (part of a regional promotion) there is a chance that one of the other cars in the group has already had the color determined, making the process slightly easier.

There are a fair number of pink colors used on these cars that were not Playboy pink though many (for some reason ) like to use that name :(

I've owned over a dozen special order paint cars and have helped restore maybe another dozen over the years. They are different but offer their own challenges ;)

There use to be a guy that ran the Special Order Registry but he has given up the effort many years ago. Did produce a newsletter (of which I think I've got copies of most of the issues)  one focused on all the pink colors and version used during the early Mustang years

......... The 7012 at the end of the DSO is in fact a paint code for the Charlotte,NC area. 275 Mustangs were ordered through the Charlotte area with the 7012 special paint code. More to come....

7012 is the cars DSO is not a paint code but the order number (from the upper left hand corner of the order form) and just the 7012th special order processed through district  22.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:16:31 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 02:15:54 AM »
Sorry almost forgot - (since its a NJ car were discussing) but the buck tag would likely also carry the original paint code. While some years it would not but apparently its been reported that 67 NJ did. Should start with the letters "W" (followed by 6 numbers) that identified a identification coding that changed in 68 to a numbering system that started with "WT" followed by only 4 numbers

If you can get back with that code I should be able to help with the original color and some older/dated conversion codes for other providers. Since pink was often one of the "color of the Rainbow" or "Color of the Month" (what ever the local district was using for a name for the spring promotion) most of the time they stayed away from using the term "Playboy"   but there are a few early examples where one of two. Marv Tonkin located in Portland OR was one such example.

Looking at advertisements of the period you see the color referred to (or at least some shade of pink) as Passion Pink, Passionate Pink or the "Think Pink Sale" as well as the "Color of the...." mentioned above

The Newsletter I mentioned earlier was called "Horse of a Different Color" and was written/distributed by Tony Popish. In the newsletter issue that focused on the pink cars there was a person listed as to have run a registry of the pink Mustangs but don't know if that is a on going effort is still ongoing. I helped Tony where I could and I miss the newsletter and updates.

Hope this helps in some way
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dudley

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »
Sorry almost forgot - (since its a NJ car were discussing) but the buck tag would likely also carry the original paint code. While some years it would not but apparently its been reported that 67 NJ did. Should start with the letters "W" (followed by 6 numbers) that identified a identification coding that changed in 68 to a numbering system that started with "WT" followed by only 4 numbers

Jeff, since you brought up the numbering system "WT", I thought I'd post a picture of my trunk of my unrestored original that has a piece of paper stuck to the wheelhouse with numbers/letters on it. The 5185 is similar to the WT codes that I have seen referenced in both Mustang Monthly and Mustang Magazine articles.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser