Author Topic: 67 air conditioner compressor  (Read 707 times)

Offline 7R02A

67 air conditioner compressor
« on: August 26, 2019, 01:37:07 AM »
Hello all,
I am finally getting to restoring the AC on my car now that it is running and driving.  I am looking for some advice on my air conditioner compressor.  I have a York compressor that I had planned to rebuild, but I only see seal kits available for rebuilding. I am concerned that rebuilding it will only replace the seals.   What about the other mechanical components like rings and bearings?  Are these components so robust that they don’t fail?  Of corse I want to stay with the factory original appearance and only want to do this once with the prices of R12.  What are others doing?  Purchasing a new or rebuilt compressors or are you rebuilding an original?
Thanks,
John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 air conditioner compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 01:52:49 AM »
Hello all,
I am finally getting to restoring the AC on my car now that it is running and driving.  I am looking for some advice on my air conditioner compressor.  I have a York compressor that I had planned to rebuild, but I only see seal kits available for rebuilding. I am concerned that rebuilding it will only replace the seals.   What about the other mechanical components like rings and bearings?  Are these components so robust that they don’t fail?  Of corse I want to stay with the factory original appearance and only want to do this once with the prices of R12.  What are others doing?  Purchasing a new or rebuilt compressors or are you rebuilding an original?
Thanks,
John
Many people send their compressor to Classic Auto Air and have them rebuild it so that they can keep their original compressor.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 06:02:57 AM »
Hello all,
Thanks,
John
I agree with Bob.
Now, with saying that, I also agree the compressors are, as you say, robust and only seals and gaskets "typically" are all that is needed.

I rebuilt mine, just seals and gaskets but when I went to torque the head bolts, discovered a few threads were pulled so I now have a beautiful "no warranty" compressor.

II re-threaded those holes (Heli-Coils) and filled the compressor with an R-134a compatible refrigerant oil and plan to fire up the system on 134a at first and once I have "no leaks" and a functioning system, I will change it over to the "better", "COLDER" R-12. TECH NOTE: R134a oil also works with R12, but not the other way around.

IF I have issues, I bought a 2nd compressor that I acquired a nice tag from. If my own has any issues, I will send the other extra compressor out to Classic, as Bob suggested.

(I may send the extra one out ANYWAYS and replace mine BEFOREHAND, since it is still out of the car and save me the hassle of changing it post assembly.)

Whatever I end up with, starting the system up on 134a has less risk of waisting any R12, should you find any other issues or leaks.

By the way, a new expansion valve, new high pressure hose and rebuilding your original dryer (Classic Auto is your source for these) is a MUST DO.
Also, make sure your condenser is in pristine condition. Do these things ALL AT ONE TIME with the compressor and you will more than likely have excellent results.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:19:32 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline preaction

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
Typically was the York  A/C compressor for 67 made of aluminum or was there cast iron versions ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »
Typically was the York  A/C compressor for 67 made of aluminum or was there cast iron versions ?

From the assembly line cast Tecumseh were most often used. Appears  Yoke aluminum were more often used as service replacements likely due to weight and its not rusting properties
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 06:22:58 PM »
From the assembly line cast Tecumseh were most often used. Appears  Yoke aluminum were more often used as service replacements likely due to weight and its not rusting properties

I seem to recall seeing more Tecumseh's on Big Blocks while more (San Jose built) small blocks with the York.
Just my observations.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 06:25:42 PM »
I seem to recall seeing more Tecumseh's on Big Blocks while more (San Jose built) small blocks with the York.
Just my observations.

Guess I could go through my pictures and would offer that all the 67 San Jose Mustang I've owned have had the Tecumseh's but we would be getting off thread so will keep this for another possibly later discussion.

Doing another survey at the moment  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
Just my observations.
It doesn't appear to be a big block vs. small block specific related issue as the same compressors work on ether. Tecumseh predominately seen back east at Dearborn or Metuchen . Most likely closer to those plants played a role in usage at what plants.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »
Thank you all for the advice.  Guess I need to determine now if the compressor is correct being a York.  Based on other examples I had seen that I thought were unrestored, it appeared the York was correct for a San Jose car.  Jeff, if willing and when you have time, I would be interested in what you have in your files.
John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 12:05:25 AM »
Thank you all for the advice.  Guess I need to determine now if the compressor is correct being a York.  Based on other examples I had seen that I thought were unrestored, it appeared the York was correct for a San Jose car.  Jeff, if willing and when you have time, I would be interested in what you have in your files.
John
The York compressor on a 67 SJ car regardless of BB or SB is the typical . If it is original to your can be better determined by taking a picture of the metal ID tag and posting it  . Hopefully it is still on the compressor.