Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Ignition Keys and Buildsheets?

<< < (8/8)

C6ZZGT:
Turns out that I do have code books for the early stuff and yes those will jump more than 2 . The newer 8 and 10 cut codes don`t do that.

64.5 Fun:
Hi all,
New member here, as of today.
We got a 64 1/2 Coupe from her dad's estate. We searched as best as we could but couldn't find the trunk key. We have the ignition key and I'll check it to make sure it works the doors.
My question is if anyone here could help me get the trunk key code (maybe it's a good Idea to get the ignition key code as well....)? I learned a lot reading through this thread! This car doesn't have a locking glove box. And I'm not sure if I could 'break' into the trunk somehow.
Any information that would help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: 64.5 Fun on April 02, 2024, 03:51:50 PM ---Hi all,
New member here, as of today.
We got a 64 1/2 Coupe from her dad's estate. We searched as best as we could but couldn't find the trunk key. We have the ignition key and I'll check it to make sure it works the doors.
My question is if anyone here could help me get the trunk key code (maybe it's a good Idea to get the ignition key code as well....)? I learned a lot reading through this thread! This car doesn't have a locking glove box. And I'm not sure if I could 'break' into the trunk somehow.
Any information that would help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

--- End quote ---
First, welcome.
To answer your question, go to a locksmith. I had the same "no key for my trunk" problem years back for a newly acquired used car. A locksmith got the trunk open, lock cylinder out, new keys made and cylinder reinstalled in 30 minutes (he answered the phone a couple of times too).
Jim

64.5 Fun:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on April 02, 2024, 05:22:14 PM ---First, welcome.
To answer your question, go to a locksmith. I had the same "no key for my trunk" problem years back for a newly acquired used car. A locksmith got the trunk open, lock cylinder out, new keys made and cylinder reinstalled in 30 minutes (he answered the phone a couple of times too).
Jim

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the welcome. We are having troubles here locally having a knowledgeable locksmith. But it has got me to learn a lot about locks.....
I made good progress this evening. I had already planned on opening it myself (if I could figure out how to) and handing the cylinder to the locksmith. Well, you can get into the trunk by pulling the rear seat! Then I decided to try the keys we found again. He had changed the ignition key switch so I figured out we have at least 3 keys to operate this car. (I say it this way because I can't get the passenger door lock to work.  Yet)

I will tell you all: You NEED to get a can of Houdini 4-Way Lock Lubricant.  It works better on locks than anything I've ever tried.  It often runs $20 or more for a 11 Oz. aerosol, but it's very worth it!  Keys and Locks work better than new!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version