Author Topic: Engine tags for 1967 390 fastback  (Read 1768 times)

Offline robz64

Engine tags for 1967 390 fastback
« on: August 17, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
Hello,

Can someone help me with the tags that are attached as an IMG to this thread please. Where would the proper placement of these tags go, both on the engine and where exactly?

Also, would the "autolite battery" tag be attached over the terminal or hang by a wire around the pos cable? And does it matter Pos or Neg? 

The "poison acid" battery tag that comes with the Autolite reproduction battery doesn't seem it would be an original reproduction. If it isn't does anyone know where to get one that would look original?

Thank you ahead, Rob

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine tags for 1967 390 fastback
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 12:17:05 AM »
Hello,

Can someone help me with the tags that are attached as an IMG to this thread please. Where would the proper placement of these tags go, both on the engine and where exactly?

Also, would the "autolite battery" tag be attached over the terminal or hang by a wire around the pos cable? And does it matter Pos or Neg? 

The "poison acid" battery tag that comes with the Autolite reproduction battery doesn't seem it would be an original reproduction. If it isn't does anyone know where to get one that would look original?

Thank you ahead, Rob
You need to decide how you want to present the car. Present it as original assemblyline. Present it as original pre delivery as delivered to the dealership or with the pre delivery service done and ready to present to the customer.  Some of the tags like the Autolite battery tag would be placed there by a dealer after changing the battery and not on the assemblyline. The poison acid tag was a 70's/80's liability issue that the repro battery mfg's had to put on batteries for legal liability protection., It was not put on vintage batteries and there is no 60's equivalent . The customary place for the yellow tag about moving the car that I have seen was under the hood near the master cylinder. I have also seen it attached to the shifter although I am skeptical it was place there originally. The tags were typically taken away during predelivery maintenance and preparation for the customer to take possession . You don't typically see the tags in vintage magazine engine or interior shots . I have found the eyelets of the tags still attached before. I envision the service dept ripping the tags off while doing predelivery .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine tags for 1967 390 fastback
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 12:27:00 AM »
Firstly the answers are going to be a bit generic since we don't know where you car was built. Secondly so few of these ended up staying with the car their documentation is not available. On top of this don't assume that everything that is made and sold for your car was originally used on your car. Agree with Bob that a good judge will see some of these as out of place unless if you present you car representing a point in time not a bunch of times. So things like mirrors, hubcaps, wrappers and so on need to be considered if your going for as it arrived at the dealership. This is not the point some organizations are looking for if your concerned about judging and things like that

On 66 cars out of Dearborn we've seen the "move every..." on the turn indicator stalk on some very low mileage car. Believe they wanted it visible and "in your face" to remind dealers or their employees to move the cars on a regular basis.  Never seen on on an original 67

Don't have nor have I seen any pictures from the factory or Ford with a warning tag of any type. In the old days you didn't need to tell people not to drink the battery acid. :)

Yes you will see allot of examples where the owner or builder added everything they could find. Don't not make it correct though it can lead some owners to believe they are missing something if they don't follow the crowd
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)