Author Topic: Plating the door latches, strikers, trnk latch.  (Read 5282 times)

Offline roddster

Plating the door latches, strikers, trnk latch.
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
I had the door latches and strikers zinc plated 25 years ago.  They still look good but I think they may be the wrong color.  They came out silver.  Aren't they supposed to be the yellow-ish zinc dichromate?  I'd like to replate the front parking light back supports too.
If so, who do I send them to.  There is not anyone listed in Hemmings that does this.

Any/all help and suggestions are appreciated

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Plating the door latches, strikers, trnk latch.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:03:34 PM »
I've seen several combinations of plating on door latches.  The most typical is zinc dichromate.  If you didn't take the springs off the back when the latches were plated, you better replace them before installing on the car.  No fun when a spring breaks with the door latched shut.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:40:19 AM »
I had the door latches and strikers zinc plated 25 years ago.  They still look good but I think they may be the wrong color.  They came out silver.  Aren't they supposed to be the yellow-ish zinc dichromate?  I'd like to replate the front parking light back supports too.
If so, who do I send them to.  There is not anyone listed in Hemmings that does this.

Any/all help and suggestions are appreciated
Rod, if these are for your 67 I would do the latches and strikers in the silver Zinc(just what i have normally seen). The spacers under the strikers should be gold Zinc Dichromate. The park light support cups are gold too. Make sure they are the 67 style with the cut down the middle instead of a uncut cone like the 68's. I have a bucket of each color ready to go in if you want to send them to me. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline roddster

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »
Bob, I sent you a PM.  Rod T

Offline roddster

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
When I have them zinc'd years ago, the place did a nice job.  Maybe they took the springs off as the springs are still solid after all these years.  I need a few striker shims that are available new.  I guess I'll buy new ones if they are the same.
 Final question relating to this: I can flip the rubber bumper that is in the visible part of the latch, but I'd rather just get new ones.  Who has them?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
When I have them zinc'd years ago, the place did a nice job.  Maybe they took the springs off as the springs are still solid after all these years.  I need a few striker shims that are available new.  I guess I'll buy new ones if they are the same.
 Final question relating to this: I can flip the rubber bumper that is in the visible part of the latch, but I'd rather just get new ones.  Who has them?
I haven't heard of anyone that does but would like to know if there is.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline roddster

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
Just thinking out loud here.  The latches are sold by repoppers.  Maybe if somebody begs NPD they could stock the rubber pad by buying it from the latch supplier.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »
Just thinking out loud here.  The latches are sold by repoppers.  Maybe if somebody begs NPD they could stock the rubber pad by buying it from the latch supplier.
I nominate Rod to start the begging. We will stand by for a report to see how you made out.  You might give Brent a call at Virginia he has more clout then you or I ;D .

Offline roddster

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »
Good idea.  I'll start by begging Brent.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:11 AM »
while you are begging ask him to see if they can change the plating on the 67/68 style from zinc dichromate to clear zinc. They actually are fairly decent otherwise
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
while you are begging ask him to see if they can change the plating on the 67/68 style from zinc dichromate to clear zinc. They actually are fairly decent otherwise

That would at least keep the uninfomed from simply installing them without removing the "gold/yellow" dye.  Way too easy for the owner to say -  "that's the way they came"   :0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline poboy427

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »
I've seen several combinations of plating on door latches.  The most typical is zinc dichromate.  If you didn't take the springs off the back when the latches were plated, you better replace them before installing on the car.  No fun when a spring breaks with the door latched shut.

Old thread but is this a case of embrittlement of the springs?  What is the technique to remove the springs and still get them staked back after coming back from the gold zinc dichromate process.

Ray
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:26:11 PM by poboy427 »

Offline poboy427

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 02:07:50 PM »
Ok answered my own question.  The technique for getting them off is to work your way around the underside of the spring with a flat blade screwdriver until you get to the entry point of the spring groove and then you can pry them up out of the groove. My latches off my SJ car are much easier to do than the latch springs off of a Dearborn built car latch that I was practicing on first when I begged the question. The Dearborn latch was heavily staked-almost cross staked. Going back should not be that bad using just a punch/hammer once the spring is properly oriented using a piece of plastic or perhaps a nylon cutting board under the latch so as to not spoil the fresh zinc dichromate.

Ray
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:10:33 AM by poboy427 »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 08:13:51 PM »
Good idea.  I'll start by begging Brent.
I did already. He said no. Keep up the demand.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.