Author Topic: Hood pin cable attaching point - San Jose  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Buzz489

Hood pin cable attaching point - San Jose
« on: February 25, 2023, 04:38:44 PM »
Where do the hood pin cables attach? Mine are currently attached the front hood bumper stops. I have no holes next to the studs as I have seen on other cars. I do have some unused holes towards the fenders about 6 inches away. SJ July built Mach 1.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 06:27:21 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood pin cable attaching point - San Jose
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 07:26:43 PM »
Given the plant and production period your current location is likely how and where they were originally attached. Looking at about another 50 examples it appears that at least a couple of shifts were attaching them there in the later half of production at San Jose in 69

A few unrestored examples from just prior to when your car was finished.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 08:44:37 PM »
Interesting detail! I didn't know that SJ went to this scheme.  Sort of lazy!  My old 3/69 car was not that way.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Buzz489

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 08:48:14 PM »
Thank you Mr. Speegle.  So as for the small holes about 6 inches from the studs, did they have a purpose?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 10:14:04 PM »
Thank you Mr. Speegle.  So as for the small holes about 6 inches from the studs, did they have a purpose?

The outer often oblong holes in the radiator supports first started showing up in 67 production for some yet undetermined reason. May have been related to the machine that held them in the forming machine or a purpose in the bucking fixture used to hold the panels as the factory constructed be sub assembly

Since they are often oblong but not always and not on all radiator supports IMHO its likely some feature of a specific stamping machine at the stamping plant, or a couple of them that makes them different

The dies were swapped out of machines as those plants stamped out hundreds or thousands of panels in a given period then swapped out the dies for ones for a different panel (or even type of Ford product) and when on for the next need and order

Here are pictures of two 67 San Jose radiator support the outer holes and two pictures (bottom ones) from 69 San Jose that I grabbed first. Plenty more in my files. All unused in the final car though you can find one or two  ::)  "restored" Mach Is where someone decided that was the correct and original location for their lanyard cable attachment point.

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 10:18:25 PM »
Interesting detail! I didn't know that SJ went to this scheme.  Sort of lazy!  My old 3/69 car was not that way.

Or work smarter, not harder :)  Workers were asked to look for places where time or money could be saved. Not sure unscrewing the bumpers and reinstalling them, unless both with done at the same station, which I doubt, took less time than a drill head screw and a screw gun.  In any case it appears it passed the inspector test or even higher up.

Appears we have not touched on this subject before like we did for the radiator support seals, so will use this thread to post a collection of anchor points for 69 San Jose along with some VINs to illustrate the period and possible overlap of each of the practices we see in unrestored examples. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 09:26:33 AM »
My Nov 66 SJ coupe has the oblong holes in support, But my Feb 67 Shelby does not.
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 11:24:19 AM »
This is a supposedly unrestored / original paint April '69 SJ car.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 10:15:41 PM »
Two examples of San Jose cars produced 13 days apart.  103xxx and 107xxx

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 05:32:25 AM »
69 SJ Feb 26, 151xxx
Radiator support panel is original and no screw holes for the lanyards

1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline STAUBY38

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 11:55:40 AM »
I know this topic is older but I am looking for some related guidance in reference to this cable location topic.   My car is a SJ built March 28 69 Mach 1.  When I found it, it had been off the road since 1984.  It was mostly original but some things were missing.  It had its hood pins but not its cables or related mounting hardware. In this thread there appears to be several locations they were mounted on a SJ car.  I have added pics showing what mine looks like.  The holes that were originally oblong on the rad support appear to have had screws or something in them as you can tell by the rounded holes.  My car also has holes next to the horn mounts.  It does not have holes right next to the hood pins.  So my issue is,  where is the correct mounting location for my March built car if there is a correct one?   It seems like there are 3 potentials.  The rad support top,  The rad support next to the horn mounts and the hood bumpers according to what I am seeing in this post.

My question is for a SJ car built in March which location was the majority mounted so I can duplicate if any?   I really have no way of knowing where they were originally except for the round holes that used to be oblong on the Rad top. 

Thanks for the assistance !

Chad
1969 MACH 1 390 4 SPD
SAN JOSE BUILD 3-28-69
ACAPULCO BLUE BEAUTY

1969 MACH 1 351 AUTO
SAN JOSE BUILD 4-17-69
BLACK JADE

2013 BOSS 302
RACE RED

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 04:57:58 PM »
I know this topic is older but I am looking for some related guidance in reference to this cable location topic.   My car is a SJ built March 28 69 Mach 1.  When I found it, it had been off the road since 1984.  It was mostly original but some things were missing. ...........................So my issue is,  where is the correct mounting location for my March built car if there is a correct one?   It seems like there are 3 potentials. 

My question is for a SJ car built in March which location was the majority mounted so I can duplicate if any? 

Looking at original cars built before, during and after the period where your car was finished they were under the hood bumpers so I would highly suggest you make that your choice
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 08:00:59 PM »
This caught my eye as it was hardware related, but it is not documented in the "1969 Mustang Body Assembly Manual" (several pages are missing). The notes in my copy (paper copies are good for that stuff, making notes) refer to the 1970 Mustang Body Assembly Manual, some items are the same, others are different. The hood pin is different. Mustangs in 1969 used a pin/cable retainer, in 1970, a "twist lock" was used.
That's the preamble, here's the meat.
The 1970 Mustang Body Assembly Manual (AM0031) page 17 (N0-105-1) has a revision that shows the "proposed" use of the 1969 pin/cable type but it is lined out, aka, revised - but it is still there.
I'll scan and post that page later.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline STAUBY38

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 10:36:17 PM »
Ok Jeff   Thanks for checking your reference material.  If that seems the majority then that's what I will do !

C
1969 MACH 1 390 4 SPD
SAN JOSE BUILD 3-28-69
ACAPULCO BLUE BEAUTY

1969 MACH 1 351 AUTO
SAN JOSE BUILD 4-17-69
BLACK JADE

2013 BOSS 302
RACE RED

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 12:06:50 PM »
Here's a copy of the page from the 1970 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0031) page 17, that shows the cancelled pin/cable hood type retainer used in 1969. Note, it says "GT" only. Disregard that. It is not the best as many pages get degraded thru several generations of copies. I reprinted the Ford hardware part numbers in RH border.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.