Author Topic: Generator Bracket for A/C  (Read 7997 times)

Offline Chris

Generator Bracket for A/C
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »
I need assistance with locating part numbers for the bolts used to attach the generator bracket and idler pulley for a V8 equipped with a/c. A picture of one of the brackets I have with the correct bolts is attached. I have two other sets like this one, but only the unique hex shaped bolt for those two, and I'd like to find the right bolts to complete the sets. I've looked in the AMK catalog online but have not found the right parts.

What I need are the Ford part numbers for these bolts, but I don't have (can't find) an illustration of this unique bracket used only for the 64 1/2 and when equipped with a/c. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Lemondrop

Re: Generator Bracket for A/C
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »
Dragging and old post up but was going to post asking this same question. I was looking for the bolts for that bracket and thought I had lost them but the pics you posted saved my tail! Wish I could find a good shot of the bracket installed but I can do some trial and error installing tomorrow and figure it out. Would be nice if you could get new bolts for this but I don't know if AMK would sell many of them being it was a 64.5 option and went away with the generators. So, you had to have a 64.5 with A/C to need these bolts and I wonder how many Mustangs met that criteria. Again, thanks for the pics!

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
Here is a pic of mine semi-rigged up. I'm not sure if it is correct but it is 50/50 as the bolt with spacer and the stud assembly can only go in one or the other hole. I don't have the 3/8" bolt that goes through the spacer right now, I thought I had it but I have two long 3/8" bolts that I don't have a clue to what they belong to. It appears the missing bolt should be around 5" long 3/8"-16 thread. I don't know if the OP will read this but if you do, is there a way to get a pic of the head of the bolt with the spacer? Hoping to line one up and buy a replacement from AMK if mine does not appear in my bolt stash. I'm missing one bracket bolt (1 3/4" long) but stuffed a bolt in I had laying for the test fit. I also had to heli-coil the 7/16" hole the 289 head had, to get the 3/8" stud to bolt on.

Anyone have pics of the hardware for the A/C compressor? I also need to figure out the power steering setup as it bolts on with the A/C compressor. Is there any good pics around of the 64.5 belt drive with power steering and A/C? I'm adding the PS so I'll still need to buy the bolt kit.

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:07:04 PM »
I flipped the stud with the spacer/bolt and it seems to be correct now, not as it is in my picture. After going back and looking, the adjuster looks like it would have been in the middle of the generator belt.

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:50:35 PM »
I can take some pictures of my setup for you, but the info on the parts and diagram for the 64 1/2 generator bracket for a/c equipped cars is shown in one of the Osborn illustrated guides (think it's the 64 1/2 engine or electrical guide). That guide shows the parts and the configuration of the various pulleys (water, dual generator, crank shaft, and power steering) depending on that you have (all except maybe power steering). So, the type of bolts and lengths should be in the Osborn guide. I can check tomorrow.

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
You need to look at Mannel's book in the Chapter 4 section on 64 Fords. It describes the uniqueness of the 64 1/2 mustang's a/c setup...which becomes even more unique and complex when paired with power steering. The 64 1/2 mustang when combined with a/c has a unique power steering bracket that tilts the power steering pump down and to the right, providing clearance to fit below the a/c compressor bracket. This pairing with a/c also dictates the use of the inner-fender mounted power steering reservoir. Also unique is the a/c compressor bracket. it shares some parts for mounting with the power steering bracket, they end up being a combined unit when attaching to the engine block...Mannel describes this in his book. This a/c compressor bracket does not use a stiffening arm that attaches to the intake manifold like with the 65 compressor bracket.

Chris

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:25:23 PM »
Yes, please take some pics :)

My car was factory A/C but did not have power steering. I'm adding it and have never messed with a 65/66 with power steering. I have what I'm pretty sure is the correct power steering setup and the can that hangs on the inner fender. I took mine apart 11 years ago so my memory is skewed a bit. I intended on getting the car back on the road in 2008  ;D

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 12:10:42 AM »
I've been steady looking and found some of your older posts, including one where you got a kit for power steering off of ebay. The bracket you have does not look like mine so I think I'm going to be looking for the correct power steering bracket :(

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
Here is pics of the brackets and parts. I rebuilt the PS pump while I was getting the rust off everything. The bracket does not match the one in your other older post and the nipple on the pump seems to be heading farther up than the one you got in the kit. I can fix the nipple, seems to be soldered into the hole.

Offline Chris

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »
You have the correct generator bracket in the pictures but not all the hardware (not shown at least) for correctly mounting it. The brackets you have for the power steering are the ones used for 64 1/2 without air conditioning, so these are not the correct ones to use with the a/c compressor bracket specific to 64 1/2. I'm traveling and out of town at the moment but can the pictures of my generator, a/c bracket, and power steering by next weekend. Sorry for the delay.

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »
I have all of the hardware for the idler/adjuster bracket sans 2 bolts. I'm missing one mounting bolt for the generator bracket itself (1 3/4" length) and a longer 3/8" diameter bolt that passes through the idler bracket into the cylinder head but also bolts the generator bracket to the head. It is maybe 5" long and has the spacer that it passes through that goes between the idler bracket and the cylinder head. I had them just misplaced them in the 11 years since I removed them from the engine. You have a image shack account that has the pics of the brackets in question on it, found it by an old post you have on this website ( https://imageshack.us/user/jsfchris ) so I don't need a picture of the brackets but if you have a shot of the A/C and Power steering brackets installed together on the engine that would be sweet.

One difference I see between your setup and mine is I have a clutch fan and no fan spacer involved as the fan clutch acts as it.

I'm also named Chris is the real world, if that scores me brownie points  ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:29:32 AM by Lemondrop »

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
Here are some pictures I took of my generator idler pulley bracket for a/c cars. I took a few of my power steering as well, but you really can't see attachment details, better to reference the pages in the Osborn Assembly Manuals.

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »
Thanks, as luck would have it a buddy of mine bought a 64.5 convert that has the entire setup on it. It is missing a couple bolts and the spacer from the generator side but everything else is there. Between your pics and his car, I'll have a much easier time with this.

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
Found a NOS adapter kit on ebay and bought it. I scanned the instruction for the PS pump brackets/swap and posted them on this thread:  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9805.0  in case anyone searches and finds this thread, they can get the parts view.

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:54 PM »
Does anyone know where to find a bearing for the idler pulley for this setup? Also how to disassemble it? I'm guessing the stamped steel plug on the end comes out and perhaps a snap ring under but there is pretty much zero information on this pulley/tenioner that I can find.