1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Early 65 San Jose Fastback Trap Door Surround Panel Rivets or Screws?

(1/5) > >>

livetoride60:
From another thread....continuing a discussion on trunk screw protectors....

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on January 22, 2014, 11:14:12 PM ---5R09C1509xx  Trunk details
Again - details contained in these pictures apply to San Jose built fastbacks  at the same time as this car

Area below the rear window. Typical little or no coverage of exterior color. Notice (I did :)  that when they put the interior back together they used screws rather than rivets :(  and choose to move the screw protectors from the screws above to these screws. Nice original screw covers/protectors - just too bad they are in the wrong spots

Till next time ;)

--- End quote ---

livetoride60:

--- Quote from: livetoride60 on January 23, 2014, 12:55:37 PM ---
I'm not seeing the screws vs. rivets you mentioned however, and the screw covers seem to be in the same position as mine.  Picture below.  Can you clarify?

--- End quote ---

Oct 9, 1964 scheduled build date.

livetoride60:

--- Quote from: PraireBronze on January 23, 2014, 01:05:03 PM ---I'm with Rich on this one.  My Oct 64 SJ Fastback has screws and covers just like his picture.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: ChrisV289 on January 23, 2014, 04:54:41 PM ---Jeff mine is the same way as well.  I have screws all around with those protective covers...

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: C5ZZ on January 23, 2014, 05:37:01 PM ---Were the screws and covers a SJ plant thing?
My Oct 64 Dearborn fastback has rivits instead.

--- End quote ---

livetoride60:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on January 23, 2014, 09:45:46 PM ---
Where yours and the car in the pictures has your screw protectors installed are where they used rivets from the factory - so no reason to have them originally installed there and nothing (originally) was there to hold them in in place. Instead they were installed on the trunk end of the screws that held the interior trim to the body as a the sharp end of the screws stuck into the trunk area and produced a concern.

It appears that some prior owner did the same as as this one - used screws or small bolts in place of the rivets when they removed and reinstalled the inner panels

As a extra point the color of the screw protectors appear to have change/were different from 65 and 66 production

Not that I've experienced - the assembly manuals TSB and other documents as well as the unrestored cars I've seen from the period (before and after also) had rivets. Seen stove bolts and screws used by shops and owners - may have does the same back in the 70's myself  :o

Might be a good idea to start a new thread discussing these specific subject. Have plenty of fall 64 fastbacks it seem with the screw covers over the lower sections but all have been played with - at least not untouched But we might all discover something new - well maybe

--- End quote ---

livetoride60:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on January 23, 2014, 09:45:46 PM ---Might be a good idea to start a new thread discussing these specific subject. Have plenty of fall 64 fastbacks it seem with the screw covers over the lower sections but all have been played with - at least not untouched But we might all discover something new - well maybe

--- End quote ---

Here you go....  ;D

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on January 23, 2014, 09:45:46 PM ---As a extra point the color of the screw protectors appear to have change/were different from 65 and 66 production

--- End quote ---

So, if the protectors were not installed on the cars from the factory, how could they change color from 65 to 66?  Where they a Ford service part available just for this purpose, to cover screws resulting from an interior redo?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version