Author Topic: weak horns  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
weak horns
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »
This question is about the 69 Shelby but pretty much applies to mustangs.  The horns work just fine, tested. good ground to the core support. .  The rimblow has a new repo switch in it. When squeezed the interior lights dim and the horns make a very weak attempt at making it's sound.  I hooked up a horn push button to test it and the same effect. So I believe the rimblow part is working.   It seems a grounding problem and could this mean a problem with the tilt signal switch inside?  Any thoughts or idea's would be appreciated.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: weak horns
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »
This question is about the 69 Shelby but pretty much applies to mustangs.  The horns work just fine, tested. good ground to the core support. .  The rimblow has a new repo switch in it. When squeezed the interior lights dim and the horns make a very weak attempt at making it's sound.  I hooked up a horn push button to test it and the same effect. So I believe the rimblow part is working.   It seems a grounding problem and could this mean a problem with the tilt signal switch inside?  Any thoughts or idea's would be appreciated.
I still think it could be a less then optimal ground. I would try and clean the horn bracket to bare metal on the side that is out of sight as well as the rad support and backside of the bolts and nut etc. cover the bare metal with dielectric grease reassemble . This is a common fix on 67 Shelby's that because of the out sourced Shelby steering wheel are known for horn issues. It couldn't hurt and just might help. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Armond

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:29:10 AM »
`I'll give that a shot. Thanks Bob!
MCA#31064

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »
Did you try turning the horn screw in or out as they may be set wrong.

Offline Armond

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
I did Ed! I got them working.
MCA#31064