Author Topic: Leaf spring cross reference - 68 J code GT High Country Special  (Read 14517 times)

Offline ruppstang

We are working on a 68 HCS GT J code. The car has been messed with a lot and I want to be sure that the leaf springs that were on it were original.
The number on them is C7ZA 5556 AM 82E  The number in the NPD catalog for a 68 GT coupe is 5560-24 and has a rate of 114. Any help would be appreciated.
Marty
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:48:05 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Leaf spring cros reference
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »
Marty,
 Sell the car, too many variables in the rear springs.
C7ZA-5556-AM is listed for:
67/68 F (63) 8 cyl, 390 for competition handling GT only "From 11/15/66"
67/68 F (76) 8 cyl, 289, 390 for competition handling GT only "From 11/15/66"
68 F (GT350/500)
4 leaf-665 lb. load rate-#C7ZA-5556-AL,AM
Service number - C7ZZ-5560-T
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »
The AM and the AR are the hardest to find as not many cars had them . They were used on the competition suspension cars like Shelby's and even rarer on regular Mustang I was not aware that any CA special or HC special cars came with a competition suspension but if they did it would have to  be rare. Comp suspension on a regular Mustang came with the spec rear leaf ,15/16 front swaybar,15 inch speed rated tires and adjustable shocks like the Shelby's had. I may of left something out so someone help me out. Marty be sure your 68 GT350 has not been changed out and if they have you might want to swipe the ones from the car your working on  :D .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »
This HCS was a GT with a J code and a 9 inch 3:25 rear axel but it did not have the competition handling option.
Thanks for the tip Jim but I think I may sell the springs and keep the car. Bob I will check out the Shelby  springs thanks.
Where are you finding the explanation of the numbers? MPC?
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 11:26:52 PM »
This HCS was a GT with a J code and a 9 inch 3:25 rear axel but it did not have the competition handling option.
Thanks for the tip Jim but I think I may sell the springs and keep the car. Bob I will check out the Shelby  springs thanks.
Where are you finding the explanation of the numbers? MPC?
Marty

The - AR & -AM is the catch for some of us. Since its shared with the Shelby's over a number of years we've tracked those specific ones.  Tried to help out when you posted the question  using the paint mark and looking for that paint mark on 68 build sheets in hope to find a match (68 coupe with HD suspension.....) for you didn't find one so didn't respond initially

They would be found on HCS and Cal Specials if equipped with a 428. One application/match I found

I've sort of given up on the MPC's since they only list replacements often combining applications to reduce needed stock. For paint marks I've started keeping track of the engineering numbers in my spread sheets to provide better (closer to original) information for others
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:30:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:20:43 AM »
The - AR & -AM is the catch for some of us. Since its shared with the Shelby's over a number of years we've tracked those specific ones.  Tried to help out when you posted the question  using the paint mark and looking for that paint mark on 68 build sheets in hope to find a match (68 coupe with HD suspension.....) for you didn't find one so didn't respond initially

They would be found on HCS and Cal Specials if equipped with a 428. One application/match I found

I've sort of given up on the MPC's since they only list replacements often combining applications to reduce needed stock. For paint marks I've started keeping track of the engineering numbers in my spread sheets to provide better (closer to original) information for others
So I take it that there is not much of a chance that these springs are original on this car. Can you tell me what numbers this car may have had?
BTW we found a orange paint band on them.
Thanks Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 12:30:39 AM »
So I take it that there is not much of a chance that these springs are original on this car. Can you tell me what numbers this car may have had?
BTW we found a orange paint band on them.
Thanks Marty
Orange paint stripe is typical on AM and AR leaf springs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 12:41:42 PM »
Can you tell me what numbers this car may have had?
Here's a copy of two pages from the 72 edition of the Ford Car Parts for 68 rear springs. Like I stated before, "too many variables". Per the GT/CS Registry, there should be nothing special or different in suspension (and other stuff) for GT/CS and HCS cars. It's related to body, engine and a lot of "variables".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »

Believe I can tell you the markings  but will need to check some ofther files to see if I have a match (color to engineering) from there

Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

Re: Leaf spring cross reference
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 09:36:05 PM »
Ok today we checked the other spring and discovered that it is a C7ZA  AU 110 EC 8 . It could have been what the car had originally.
Thanks Jim for the charts, that was a big help. Those charts would be great to have in the library . One other thing this car also had a trailer hitch and we wonder if the PO changed to these heaver springs.
Our other 68 HCS is a C code and it has C7ZA 5556-Y  G1 7E  8E springs.
It is amazing all of the combinations that there were, and to think some suppliers sell a one size fits all.     

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:11 PM »
It is amazing all of the combinations that there were, and to think some suppliers sell a one size fits all.   

Oh the rear springs are nothing compared to the pages after pages of front spring applications.

Here is a picture of a closer MPC for viewing. No "replaced by" and similar notes.  MPC page is from April 68

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:22:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »
Jeff I can not bring up the chart, I get a screen asking for a gallery password. I do not know what that is.
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
Jeff I can not bring up the chart, I get a screen asking for a gallery password. I do not know what that is.
Marty
+1, I thought this must be an item privey only to the "secret society"  ;D
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »
+1, I thought this must be an item privey only to the "secret society"  ;D

Same here, thought it was just me!!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »
another same here.
5F09C331248