Author Topic: Battery Rebuild  (Read 1428 times)

Offline rrenz

Battery Rebuild
« on: July 16, 2019, 07:37:51 PM »
A few weeks ago I was dropping off a load of trash at the dump and saw this beauty sitting on a pallet. Ive begun the process of gutting the case. I opted to cut the bottom out to keep the top intact. For those of you that have done this by removing the bottom, I'm having trouble removing the plates and innards. Any tips and tricks anyone can share? Most of it is very reluctant to come out. Thanks in advance
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Battery Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 10:05:00 PM »
A few weeks ago I was dropping off a load of trash at the dump and saw this beauty sitting on a pallet. Ive begun the process of gutting the case. I opted to cut the bottom out to keep the top intact. For those of you that have done this by removing the bottom, I'm having trouble removing the plates and innards. Any tips and tricks anyone can share? Most of it is very reluctant to come out. Thanks in advance
First be sure to wear a dust mask. Filter mask is better. Needle nose pliers, a chisel and hammer. Chisel and hammer to break up the plates and the pliers are used to pull out the pieces. You also use the pliers to grab the plates and wiggle them until they break loose.It is a dirty job.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »
First be sure to wear a dust mask. Filter mask is better. Needle nose pliers, a chisel and hammer. Chisel and hammer to break up the plates and the pliers are used to pull out the pieces. You also use the pliers to grab the plates and wiggle them until they break loose.It is a dirty job.
And have a bucket of water that has a box of Arm & Hammer borax poured in it, and another box nearby. The scars on my left arm have healed.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 01:24:34 PM »
The repro I took apart was assembled without plates or acid.  While not as hazardous to your health dis-assembly is rather difficult.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »
And have a bucket of water that has a box of Arm & Hammer borax poured in it, and another box nearby. The scars on my left arm have healed.
Jim
Simple Green is another aid neutralizer. Turn red when hot. Green when neutral.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »
Are the batteries in the repro Autolite's a lead acid or a AGM type ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 11:36:55 PM »
Are the batteries in the repro Autolite's a lead acid or a AGM type ?

Depends on  the battery and when it was made. Earlier ones were only acid then later both were offered for different prices.

Have on new acid one I picked up a Grp 27 awhile back - early acid one that never had the acid added. figured for the $25 I paid for it I might change out the inside if was looking for another project one day. When they were not available for a while figured I at least had something to work with
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 08:59:03 AM »

Ryan, I have what appears possibly to be the same manufacturer repro. How did you end up getting the guts out going up from the bottom?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662