Author Topic: Which Shortie PS Hose Goes Where?  (Read 282 times)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Which Shortie PS Hose Goes Where?
« on: April 02, 2024, 12:03:35 AM »
Hey Fellas, I've searched all over the place and can't find anything that clearly shows which of the "shortie" PS hoses goes where.

ALSO, is there a correct way to "clock" the hoses for best / correct position?  They have stripes on them, so I figure they should align a certain way...

This is a pic of what I had:  3A717 was the "uppermost" of the two and 3A714 was the lower, but that doesn't mean they were put on correctly God knows how long ago >.< 

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Which Shortie PS Hose Goes Where?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 12:28:46 AM »
Hey Fellas, I've searched all over the place and can't find anything that clearly shows which of the "shortie" PS hoses goes where.

ALSO, is there a correct way to "clock" the hoses for best / correct position?  They have stripes on them, so I figure they should align a certain way...

This is a pic of what I had:  3A717 was the "uppermost" of the two and 3A714 was the lower, but that doesn't mean they were put on correctly God knows how long ago >.<
Typically the stripes go on the bottom. If you but them on wrong when you start the car the steering wheel will rotate from one side to the other on its own. You do not want to get in its way if it does that because it can do it violently. You will know immediately because the steering wheel will start to move . Step one start the car and if the steering wheel moves turn it off the second it starts to do that . Now switch the hoses. Once the hoses are corrected rotate the steering wheel on your own back one way complete and then the other way complete so as to work air bubbles out of the system. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 12:33:17 AM »
Typically the stripes go on the bottom. If you but them on wrong when you start the car the steering wheel will rotate from one side to the other on its own. You do not want to get in its way if it does that because it can do it violently. You will know immediately because the steering wheel will start to move . Step one start the car and if the steering wheel moves turn it off the second it starts to do that . Now switch the hoses. Once the hoses are corrected rotate the steering wheel on your own back one way complete and then the other way complete so as to work air bubbles out of the system.

Thanks Bob, but I'm not worried about getting them crossed up.  I'm trying to figure out which hose goes in which spot ~ send vs return.  I know the hoses are similar, but they are not identical (one seems to be a bit longer than the other).  So they should each go in a particular spot... but I can't find anything that tells me which one goes where.

So the stripes should  face down, toward the ground?
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 10:31:29 AM »
Assembly manual has very clear instructions

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 12:53:22 PM »
Assembly manual has very clear instructions

Thanks!  Someone hooked me up with the diagram.

For anyone else who comes along later that doesn't happen to have the assembly manual, here is the diagram;

Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

Cat Bites Man!