Author Topic: Odometer reading at Delivery  (Read 3056 times)

Offline C6ZZGT

Re: Odometer reading at Delivery
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 02:46:22 AM »
My Dearborn 70 B302 was sold through West Valley Motor Sales in Santa Clara, California in Dec 1970. Does anyone have an estimate on what the odometer would read on delivery? I thought I would set re-set the odometer to this reading when it is refurbished.
Brad

Vehicles could have had test miles from the factory as well. Not sure about back then but currently they have an extra sticker on the window telling how many miles it was driven for testing.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 11:07:15 PM »
Vehicles could have had test miles from the factory as well. Not sure about back then but currently they have an extra sticker on the window telling how many miles it was driven for testing.

That would have been likely less than a mile or two- maybe with storage and loading I guess it could go over that. The final inspectors and the plants typically didn't have that much space to use for the purpose. Discussed the drive with one of the inspectors from San Jose one day.

Did check shipping invoices and I don't see the mileage listed - but typically 4 gallons of fuel is included on the form
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:10:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
I did new car check-in and service at a Lincoln Mercury dealer in early '70 to late '72 and the mileage was usually 3-5 miles. Jeff is correct about the gas added and it was usually enough to get the customer on the road after our road test. I don't think adjusting the speedometer was illegal back then or at least not enforced as many used car dealers would run the mileage back. I can remember when GA and TN either passed a law to deal with the issue or beefed up existing laws and started to enforce them.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.