Author Topic: Fluctuating Alternator Gauge  (Read 2249 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: Fluctuating Alternator Gauge
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 07:03:08 PM »
I think you just figured out your own problem.....  Scott Drake make one and there is a pot internally that allows you to "time" them.
I went through Vic at Cougars Unlimited for my electronics. I wired sequentials into my Shelby. I hate the Dynamite sticks and others that sequence when the brake lights are in operation or the hazards lamps.
You have to be blind to miss the brake and turn signals with the plasma leds.
                                                                                                                 -Keith

Offline orlandod

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 10:49:42 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will look into an adjustable flasher
1969 Mach 1
San Jose
351W-4V
Built 03/24/69
3.00/FMX

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
The charging lamp was flickering in my 65 GT350 and I found the problem to be the combination between a
rebuilt alternator (60 amp) and the AMK regulator which was built according to the original spec. which is calibrated
for a much lower alternator amp. Bought a solid state regulator and added the AMK cover and no flickering any more
and it still looks original.
Texas Swede

Offline orlandod

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 02:14:11 PM »
After installing the Napa $25 solid state regulator I decided to open the $50 AMK unit from Classic Automotive and contrary to what "1967 eight barrel" stated above the unit I received is solid state so I am not sure what when wrong with it but I will be swapping over covers very soon.
1969 Mach 1
San Jose
351W-4V
Built 03/24/69
3.00/FMX

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 04:22:50 PM »
The unit I threw in the trash was in fact mechanical. Wasn't a guess or hearsay.   Perhaps AMK has decided to change manufacturers and move away from the original design because so many of us here have had issues with AMK's Starter solenoids welding the contacts and the regulators failing/intermittent operation.  A bad or loose grounded unit or loose battery cables will quickly destroy solid-state electronics. NAPA offered three different units. I opted for the more expensive unit NAPA offered and the electronics are encapsulated in resin which had to be shaped a bit to get the reproduction cover on. Be sure that there is bare metal where the unit touches the core support and there is also an external star washer used between the unit and the regulator. It's also shown clearly in the Jim Osborne assembly manual. 
                                                                                    -Keith

Offline orlandod

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 04:35:30 PM »
I not disagreeing just surprised to see electronics in the unit. Your comment about a loose ground got me to thinking because when I removed the AMK unit one of the mounting screws was loose which may have destroyed the unit. I went ahead a ground off the paint around the screw holes for the new install. Your comment about the star washer is a good on and I will pick some up. Thanks
1969 Mach 1
San Jose
351W-4V
Built 03/24/69
3.00/FMX