Author Topic: 1968 Grill Opening Molding Panel Resto  (Read 843 times)

Offline 68JCode

1968 Grill Opening Molding Panel Resto
« on: April 09, 2018, 06:24:59 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,

I've got some questions about how the grill opening molding panel was processed originally, and how to restore.  The attached photo shows my original pass side panel alongside a repro drivers side panel.  The repro panel fits OK, but has some wavey bends, so I am now considering just restoring my originals.

Here is the question - the majority of the panel has a satin finish -is this a paint or plating process?  Is there a DIY method to replicate this finish?  That is all my original panels really need.

Thanks,

Andrew

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1968 Grill Opening Molding Panel Resto
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:58:52 AM »
Refinishing the argent paint is the easier part, the rear bright portion requires having a pre-fit, known to be straight molding sent out to a bright-dip anodizing shop (to restore properly). A person would 1st have the anodizing process done and then spray paint the argent color onto it. FWIW, the "masking line" is not a taped edge variety, it would appear that a pre-formed masking device was used, allowing a somewhat fuzzie transition from the bright chrome portion to the painted portion.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 68JCode

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:31 AM »
Thanks Richard, excellent information.  Is all Argent paint created equal, or is there a preferred vendor / paint code if I want to rattle can these?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:52:26 AM »
I found NPD's T-19000-1 Ford  Argent a very nice match
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments