Author Topic: 1966 Autolite 4100 original finish  (Read 1085 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 Autolite 4100 original finish
« on: June 12, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »
They did a nice job of rebuilding my original 4100, but they didn't tell me they would "glass beed blast" it.  I don't expect to be able to restore the 50 plus year old, original finish, but can any one recommend a method to make it appear more original than it does now.  It appears obviously beed blasted, unfortunately.  Not happy.

Thanks...

Offline socalgt

Re: 1966 Autolite 4100 original finish
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:30:11 PM »
I've had many different carbs rebuilt and none of the rebuilders used a media to ruin the original finish, including any cad plating, like the dashpot, or the "gold tone" on the brakes that holds the heater hose.  I'm going to assume this was laziness, just blasting every part rather than being selective and cleaning the ones with plating still present.  If their standard procedure is to blast everything they should inform customers....I don't think i should have to ask if they plan on ruining the original finish(es) on my carb.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:38:06 PM »
I've had many different carbs rebuilt and none of the rebuilders used a media to ruin the original finish, including any cad plating, like the dashpot, or the "gold tone" on the brakes that holds the heater hose.  I'm going to assume this was laziness, just blasting every part rather than being selective and cleaning the ones with plating still present.  If their standard procedure is to blast everything they should inform customers....I don't think i should have to ask if they plan on ruining the original finish(es) on my carb.
I have tumbled the fresh bead blasted casting for a better look then the bead blasted look . Unfortunately I have not heard of a process to recover the exact same look of fresh diecast metal.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:36:27 AM »
By the way, a gave them written instructions to leave it "original" and not to discard or replace any original parts.....guess they were going to do it "their way" regardless.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:57 PM »
By the way, a gave them written instructions to leave it "original" and not to discard or replace any original parts.....guess they were going to do it "their way" regardless.
1-800-GOT-ALAWYER
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.